We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

We were supposed to be At Reef Village a week through our time share. After 1 extremely long night - we couldn't get out of there fast enough!! We had cockroaches in the kitchen drawers and cabinets! We were unable to lock the glass sliding doors - they merely had a rusted rod and a beat up board to lay in the tracks. There were broken and missing window/door blinds so anyone could walk by and look into the rooms. The refrigerator had rotten food inside it when we got there and was contaminated with a rusted through hinge and black and blue mold. The glassware was put back into the cabinet DIRTY. The stove burners still had food residue in them. LONG NIGHT keeping everything zipped up tight so the cockroaches couldn't climb in our luggage. WE HAVE THE PHOTOS TO PROVE IT!! You have to pay $2.50 US to cross the bridge to go into town each way - ridiculous situation. Five years ago we had a marvelous time in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye - this time, not the case - entire island appears to be run down - service is horrible - prices are totally inflated, garbage everywhere, and the attitude of the local peoples went from friendly to a "you owe me" mentality. We only stayed 24 hours on Ambergris Caye and headed to the mainland where we had a blast in CLEAN resorts with fantastic service, where the local people OF THE MAINLAND appreciated our business!

dakotaboxers (Coleen and Bruce from Mesa, Arizona)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

Wow. I'm frankly not surprised to read about your bad experience at Reef Village. I heard similar horror stories when I was on the island last week.

I love San Pedro and Ambergris Caye, hate to see that you were so disappointed.

I find the local population over all to be kind and welcoming.

We find that there seems to be less garbage these days than there was in years past. More trash cans, better garbage pick up.

I can't help but think that your terrible experience at Reef Village tainted your entire experience.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

Sorry to hear about the bad part. Where did you stay inland that you loved?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

In answer to your question regarding where we stayed on the mainland? Robert's Grove in Placencia and then on to Chaa Creek by San Ignacio - both absolutely fantastic properties - food was fabulous - service astounding! The grounds were meticulous - loved them both equally! Each offered something completely different - just what we were looking for.

BTW, half our flight thought the same thing about San Pedro - it definitely has changed - we weren't the only Americans that were sorely disappointed!

We shall vote our dollars on the other Cayes next time we fly into Belize.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
19 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

That would be horrifying to me as well. We normally stay at Tara del Sol on south side of island, and absolutely love it there. This is our 5th visit to San Pedro and we are seriously contemplating retirement here. Each visit we find more and more to like. The locals are friendly and helpful, and we've not yet had a bad experience, crossing fingers. On our first visit we stayed at Chaa Creek which was lovely but we missed the beautiful beaches being so far inland. Good luck on future travels~

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

We spent two weeks in San Pedro over the Christmas and New Year holiday. We stayed just north of the bridge at The Landings. In the two weeks we did NOT see any evidence of a "you owe me" mentality at all. All the locals and ex-pats we interacted with were extremely pleasant and seemed to sincerely want us to enjoy our experience in San Pedro.

Regarding having to pay a toll to cross the bridge - perhaps its because we live in a heavily tolled area, but it did not seem outrageous at all, just how people pay to improve infrastructure. Its my understanding that before the bridge there was a hand pulled ferry bridge across the water. We arranged to purchase a bridge pass for our stay, just so we did not have to worry about having small bills to pay the toll every day.

We found the service in San Pedro, the restaurants and shops, to be very good - especially by "island standards". We also had much conversation that prices were not as inflated as many other caribbean island areas. Our condo was spotless as was the beach area. While we did see some areas, especially outside of town, with trash washed up onto the shore, overall the beach areas were well kept.

I'm sorry you encountered had an unpleasant 24 hours on Ambegris Caye, but there really are plenty of wonderful areas and people there.

NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

Can u recommend. Place to stay on mainland?

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

That's too bad about your reef experience. Great you bounced back ended up at Robert's Grove, I was just there recently and really enjoyed it. I agree on service, the staff was great and very friendly. Ate at Seaside restaurant and Mathieu's Deli while there and both were delicious.

8. Re: Horrible experience at Reef Village in San Pedro!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 17, 2014