We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Going to Belize, San Pedro for a few nights last week in December with a large family group. Have narrowed down to a few hotels, so many are booked up and can not accomodate a large group. Does anyone have any comments on the 3 resorts I listed? Both Pro's and Con's. Weve got some family who love to scuba and snorkle and a few who just want to hang out. Any info would be appreciated.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Tough choice. I don't know if it matters, but, the price of drinks at Las Terrazas is really high. We stopped for a drink one day as we were wandering up north. A bottle of Belikin was BZ$9.00. I can't recall what a rum and soda was, but, I'm thinking it was at least BZ$15.00. Could be wrong on the rum price though.

In comparison, a bottle of Belikin at Coco Beach was BZ$6.00. I think rum and soda was BZ$10.00 or so. Not sure about Grand Caribe, but, I'd guess closer to Coco Beach.

I think Las Terrazas is a bit more isolated, not many other restaurants very close.

I'm not sure if the main restaurant at Coco Beach is open yet. You might want to check. The pool(s) at Coco Beach are awesome. If you have children in your group, they'll love the water slide.

Grand Caribe is the closest to town. Nice pools. Still looked a bar 'stark' last spring, I'm sure it gets better all the time, the landscaping just needs to mature.

You'll be able to get picked up from diving and/or snorkeling from any of the above properties.

I'd go with Coco Beach, but, I'm biased. I know the developers. And, I LOVE the pools.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Oh, great info. Any comments on the actual beach at these locations and if you can actually go into the water from the resorts either swim, snorkle, kayak etc? I just keep thinking it would be nice to be closer to town so we can take a golf cart out to dinner in town. What else is there for us to do in town? Should this really be a deciding factor?

Thanks in advance :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

I don't remember much about the beaches at those three properties. All three properties have docks, if you can't walk in and swim, you'll almost certainly be able to swim off the docks.

Hopefully Tacogirl will see this and post. She spends time at Grand Caribe and will be able to tell you about the beach there.

I like being close to town. Lots of live music to choose from. A bit of shopping. I just enjoy watching the local population go about their lives. Especially on the weekends, there's lots of great street food in the park.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

I'm partial to GC; each room has a great view of the sea, is closer to town and that is important if you are moving to and from on a golf cart and has a lovely beach

Telluride, CO
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Las Terrazas is more of your, "Home away from home" feel. It has lots of great ammenities and their rooms are really nice. It is pretty pricy there, but if you are looking for a bit more taste and upscale then the can certainly provide it to you.

CoCo Beach is a wonderful resort. Their pool is a lot of fun, it has a giant rock you can climb up and jump off and a fun little water slide. Their rooms are nice and clean and pretty up to date with the times. They also have a fun bar right by the pool. Another thing is with CoCo beach you can walk over to Belizean Shores and play in their pool because they are owned by the same company. The beach is standard as to most of the hotels have on Ambergris, there is sea grass at just about every beach you go to.

Grand Caribe is larger more focused on the condo aspect than hotel. We have put clients there and they loved it.

Another property to look at that has larger rooms that fits into what you are looking for is The Phoenix. They do a wonderful job, and they walking distance to the center of town.

Out of the four I like The Phoenix the best, then CoCo Beach, Las Terrazas and lastly Grand Caribe.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Of the 3, Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort, I have only stayed at Grand Caribe. No complaints and have a great time there every time I go. Beach is nice there and they have decent stretch with lounge chairs and umbrellas and a shallow area swim-able with no seagrass.

Saw Phoenix get mentioned afterwards that is also a lovely place to stay, nice staff and great location, walking distance to everything.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Great honest info, thank you so much.

I have called the top 10 resorts in the area and these were about the only ones that have availablity over the holdiays, so I don't have much of a choice.

I keep gravitating toward Grand Caribe because it is close to town. Not sure that should be my deciding factor. :|

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Closer to town. It's still a good mile from the bridge, I would guess, maybe a bit more. If it's been raining, it would still seem like a long, muddy ride in a golf cart. That said, I live a mile south of town, and we've walked as far north as Grand Caribe fairly often.

This is a minor point, but, important to some people, like me.....Grand Caribe doesn't have any bottled Belikin in their bar. Only draft. I don't like draft beer, so I don't go there. (At least this was true in April.)

The great thing about Grand Caribe is its proximity to the Palapa Bar. Great place to hang out and watch the world go by. It's also close to Aji, which has wonderful food.

It's a tough decision. Since others are ranking their choices, I'll chime in too. I'd put Las Terrazas last. It just doesn't feel tropical enough to me, feels more like South Beach in Miami. And, it's expensive. Like I said before, I love the pools at Coco Beach. Not having a decent priced restaurant on site is a drawback though.

Grand Caribe has a great location. The condos sound awesome.

I'd still go with Coco Beach, with Grand Caribe a close second.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

Still true Jean draft only. The Pool bar and Grill and has a no glass by the pool policy to avoid any mishaps.

Jim V what keeps me gravitating toward Grand Caribe is the pool and Sir Andrew's Sunday barbecue ha ha.

Edited: 9:19 pm, October 05, 2012
San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Terrazas, Grand Caribe or CoCo Beach Resort?

If you have found space for a group during Holiday Season, book it now! I actually prefer to the draft beer to the bottled beer here, but everyone has their own tastes. I think you will be fine at whichever resort you choose, just choose soon.