We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where the heck do you keep your cash?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
where the heck do you keep your cash?

Our condo doesn't have safe. I plan on bringing a money belt, but don't really want to wear it to the beach. :-)

Any suggestions on safekeeping for passports and cash? Hide it in the sugar bowl??

Our bank charges hefty fees for non branch ATM w/d so I'd rather just bring our spending money with us.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

Hon, I like the looks of that 'safe'. Have you been researching? Any other possibilities? We're heading to Nicaragua, I'm guessing not everywhere we'll be staying will have a safe....

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

Jean, I did a fair bit of research before deciding on that one. I like the fact that it is fully self contained and doesn't need to be screwed into a wall or attached to a bracket like many of the other styles that I found. In addition it is light weight and can be transported in a carry on for the times when I don't want to or need to check luggage.

I won't need it when we're in San Pedro but we are planning to do a bit more exploring within Belize and southern Mexico next winter so it will come in handy then.

Enjoy Nicaragua!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

I like that portable safe! Thanks. The fact that it's not able to be cut makes me want to order one.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
80 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

Totally hide it in your place. I like that old school method...I use it all the time!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

Hiding is good but don't forget where you hid it AND tell your travel partner where you hid it and don't keep moving it.

Regarding the travel safe - couldn't someone just cut the cable and take the whole thing? Just wondering.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

My thoughts on the travel safe are that someone certainly could cut the cable, but, they'd have to have to right equipment with them. And, they'd have to find it. It certainly isn't foolproof, but, better than stashing passports and cash under the mattress.....

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

My thoughts exactly. Make it just a little more difficult for an opportunistic thief and they will move on, perhaps to the next person who has left their stuff more easily accessible.

18. Re: where the heck do you keep your cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 14, 2013