We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Scuba/Resort Course

San Bruno...
2 posts
Save Topic
Discover Scuba/Resort Course

I am not scuba certified, but my boyfriend is. I was thinking about doing the discover scuba. Has anyone done this? If I did would my boyfriend also be able to be on the same trip and be able to enjoy himself?

Thanks in advance!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,831 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

Most dive ops don't combine certified divers with their discover scuba divers but you could make a request. It would likely mean a shallower dive and less time in the water for him unless another certified diver was on the boat to be his buddy. That said, there are some wonderful shallow dives in the area. In 2009 when some extended family members did a discover scuba course with Frenchie's on Caye Caulker they saw manatees.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

this would requuire some planning, because as Hope says most operators don't mix trained divers with discover divers. This is for a few very good reasons, mainly that you haven;t learned safety nor how to use the gear. So the DM will want to keep a VERY close eye on you and keep you in shallow water. Maybe they will allow you to go in to 30 feet. But if you and your BF are on a 2-tank dive, the second dive is generally shallower than the first. And there are dives that spend a lot of time at 30 feet, where the reef is most colorful and the light is best. So it could be an incredible experience for you both. But don't expect to be alone, unless he is a scuba instructor. Even if you can arrange it, most likely they will let you to 25-30 feet for a short time and keep a close eye on you. Why not just get certified so you can dive with him. The couple that dives together thrives together,

San Bruno...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

Thank you both for your info. I wanted to get certified but we booked our trip kind of last minute and I wont have the time to do it before and I don't want to waste a lot of time doing it while on vacation. I hope that it will work out.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

Try to choose a smaller Dive Shop. We will often let DSD divers dive with certified divers but only to a max depth of 40 feet. There are however a couple of nice spots to do shallow dives on the North end of the island.

Cheers,

Carlos

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

Make contact with California Dive Center, 715 El Camino Real, San Bruno, CA

94066, Tel(650) 588-4998 and see what they can do for diving istruction at week ends and any other times you may have spare. Then you will not waste valuable dive time at San Pedro.

6. Re: Discover Scuba/Resort Course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro