We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Planning a trip to Belize early April... Wife and I are newly certed open-water Scuba, and anxious to do some diving. Would like a turtle grass-free beach for the kids, and decent dining nearby.

Looked at a couple of the TA "highly rated" places, and noticed what appear to be pretty-obvious self-reviews. Looking for a more honest take, if anyone can help....thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Almost every beach has turtle grass. Ramon's has cleared some. It's on a nice beach. I'd recommend staying next door at the Palms though, nice condos. More room for you and your family.

That said, are you talking about this year? Easter is April 8. The island will be packed.....

Banyan Bay is also on a nice beach. Nicely furnished two bedroom units. Restaurant on site.

Also, consider Caribbean Villas.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Caribbean Villas, great spot to go with kids. They do Sunday Sailing for kids every week too.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Belizean Reef is a nice spot, and great for a family. Next to a good little beach too. It's close enough to walk everywhere too, so you won't have to rent a golf cart.

Edited: 9:53 am, March 13, 2012
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

the reef creates the environment for the grass so you get either great diving or the grass. you get great diving or a great beach, one or the other but not both.

Edited: 9:59 am, March 13, 2012
Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Thanks for the great feedback. We're being offered a pretty cool deal at Grand Caribe, and have decided to use all the local options possible for snorkelling, scuba, day trips to Mayan ruins, etc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Grand Caribe is great. I have a friend who owns a 2 BR there. Only thing is it's WAY out of town so if you want to go into town it's a hike. Can't remember how long by golf cart but it seemed like maybe 20 minutes? tacogirl tell me if I'm remembering incorrectly.

We have a timeshare at Grand Colony and love the resort and the beach/pool etc. It is right next to Banyan Bay which is also great. So is Caribbean Villas. All 3 of those are closely located towards town if you want to be closer to restaurants etc. We will be there for 2 weeks this summer. Can't wait to be back!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

GC is one of the resorts north of town, closest to town, maybe a mile. That is not WAY our of town and an inexpenisve taxi, short bike or golf cart ride

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

OK thanks for the clarification. We drove golf carts up there from town last year and it seemed like a long way but couldn't remember. It's a very nice resort.

Level Contributor
162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

I understood GC to be out of town, but relatively near (unlike Coco Beach or Terazza). Hope that's the case..

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental or Resort for Couple with young kids (7 &9)?

Yup. I think you are spot on. FYI is that your Corgi? I have two and one that looks exactly like yours! :-)

I just booked our tickets for this summer. We are there for 2 weeks. You'll love it! Go have lunch at Wild Mango's in town. Our favorite place! We brought back a sweet little Belizean puppy from Saga 2 years ago, Saga is the Humane society there and named her Mango after the restaurant!