We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize in August

Chicago
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Belize in August

Though its a year away, we are planning a trip for the end of August 2012. Is this a good time of year to visit Belize? How is the weather?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize in August

It's hot. Rains, but, mostly at night. It's also hurricane season, so trip insurance is a good idea.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize in August

Daily highs average about 32 degrees C.

Overnight lows average about 23 degrees C.

If you still use Fahrenheit, that's 90 and 73 degrees.

Hurricane season is from June through November, but most of the hurricanes that have ever hit Belize have been in Sept or Oct -- I think there has only been 1 or 2 in August in the past 100 years.

There is usually some rain in late August, but not every day and not all day. I wouldn't worry about rain.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize in August

Yeah, what they said. :-) We've visited twice in August and found it to be a great time to visit.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize in August

I just got back from Belize in late July and it was extremely hot. I would make sure your accommodations are air conditioned, and if you have flexibility, I would recommend January - March for the best time of year. January is also a small down time because it is in-between the popular travel times of Christmas and President's Day.

Lucy

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
436 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize in August

any time in Belize is a good time. Aug is very hot. My fav month is Oct during slow season.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize in August

We went last August. The San Ignacio portion of the trip with few other tourists was terrific. Our day trip to Tikal found it nearly empty and was great to explore with our guide. However, happy hour at our jungle lodge was non-existent - the bartender was doing double duty as the cook. I understand that businesses need to keep costs down in the low season, so I'm not complaining, just something to keep in mind.

We loved Ambergris Caye but know it would have been more fun if it were busier. It is sometimes very lonely when you are the only people in a restaurant or beachfront bar! We found that several businesses on AC were closing for a month or two at the beginning of September. My son had a dive cancelled because there were not enough people going. We were also told that the water is not as clear in August. It looked pretty phenomenal to me, but I'll trust the judgment of the experts.

When we go again (and there will definitely be an again), I plan to make it no later than early July. I think we could probably secure some good, off season rates at that time plus not have to purchase trip insurance like we did last summer.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize in August

Out hottest months are April and May. January and Feb are still rainy season and we can get northers with overcast skies and rains which can last a few days. Weather is usually fine in August and this August has been wonderful. Yes, it is hurricane season, so get travel insurance on the outside chance of.....

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belize in August

It does depend on where you'd go. Inland can be considerably cooler than the coast. I find August to be one of the best months. Some showers here and there, which keeps the temperature really nice. We get quite a few sun showers too, with some sprinkles and sun simultaneously. I tend to shy away from the coast in August.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belize in August

I love August, we often have our nicest weather in August and September. September is when Belizeans come out to play and there is plenty of party especially around the 10th and 21st.

Actually I am always amazed that people come in the winter as for my taste it is rather too cool. As we speak I am looking out at clear calm sea, with just a slight ruffle from a south wind, light breeze, blue sky...very hot outside, but cool inside and I don't even have a fan on let alone ac which I don't even posess!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belize in August

I come to Belize in the winter because it's well below freezing here in the US midwest. I, too, prefer weather that's really hot. I get cold on Ambergris in January.

But, it's all relative. I'm cold in Belize in my shorts and a t-shirt. I'd be cold in Iowa in long underwear, a coat, hat and gloves.

In the summer here in Iowa, it's hot and humid, pretty much like Belize (but I still miss the ocean).