We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

9 posts
Save Topic
Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

My husband and I are are traveling to Ambergris Caye this March. It is our first trip to Belize and we are quite excited about it.

We will be staying for 8 days on the island, and would like to take a few day tours to see some Mayan ruins. In particular, we would like to visit Tikal & Lamanai. (I know Tikal would be better as an overnight, but that is not an option this time...) I am looking for opinions/feedback on the quality of other's experiences of day tours from Ambergris Caye, to those two places.

Is there any 'free time' to wander on our own? Is the amount of time actually at the site worth the time getting there? (although it sounds like, for Lamanai, getting there by river is half the adventure....) Any tour operators in particular better than others?

We got burnt on a recent trip to Italy, we took some day bus trips from Rome to various places, and they were so disappointing. Literally 20 minutes on our own to visit the restrooms, get lunch and explore Assisi!! & no time on Capri, just bus to boat to minivan to boat and back to bus. I realize that sacrifices are made when you give up independance for an organized tour, I just want to go into our next trip with a little more knowledge of how much we will be sacrificing...

Thank you very much.

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

Hello,

I have been to Belize twice in the last three years and am going back to San Pedro in May. We did the one day trip to Lamanai and it was wonderful. The guides are very laid back and it is a lazy fun day of boat/bus/boat to the ruins. With lots of fun stuff to see along the way. We used Seaduced Tours and they were excellent. I have not done the tours to Tikal and have wanted to, but it definitely is a two day trip. If you can afford it, just rent something overnight there without checking out of your place in San Pedro.

I will be going first week of May!!!

Have fun!

Chica

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

www.tanishatours.com

Tropic Air offers one day packages to Tikal.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

We are also going to San Pedro in March and to Tikal, while we have not been there before, from everything that I have read Tikal is not a one-day event. We are going to be staying for four days. Reading about Lamanai it is a one-day trip and we are planning on doing it also.

Living in a tourist area I would recommend not trying to see everything in one day but stop and enjoy to the fullest what you are able to do. You can always come back and see it all.

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips (Tikal & Lamanai) from Ambergris Caye

Thanks for the replies to my posts! Good information, I appreciate it!

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro