We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Sorry for the delay but I'm finally recovering from a fantastic trip to Belize and ready to share it with everyone. As noted in previous posts, I traveled to AC with my wife for our honeymoon and stayed at Coco Beach.

Since, I've already submitted an in-depth review of Coco Beach; I'll be very brief about the resort. We loved it. The property is beautiful and we found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. As for the location, I think it's perfect. Far enough from town for quiet rest and relaxation but close enough that it's easy to access town when needed. I strongly suggest getting an unlimited water taxi pass if your stay is 5 days or longer.

As for the Island? Paradise. I loved the culture, the atmosphere, the scenery, the food. Everything. I found prices very fair compared to some of the larger metro areas in the States.

We arrived on Monday, July 19th and took the Tropic Air flight from Belize City. This is highly recommended versus the boat ride. We took the boat ride for our day trip to Lamanai and would always recommend using Tropic Air if possible. The planes are actually very nice and the ride is smooth and short with fantastic views. Upon arrival we were taken to a dock and water taxied to Coco Beach where we were graciously greeted and provided with a free drink at the pool bar. A lot of the resorts do some sort of dinner every night and we ate at a Beach BBQ that night next door at Belizean Shores, which is a sister property. There was live music and tables set up on the beach lit by candlelight and tiki torches. We did the same thing twice more during the week, once at Coco Beach and another time at Captain Morgan’s. On both occasions it was the same type of thing, but we found that to be really cool and interesting. On all occasions the food was fresh, local and delicious.

We hung out a lot at the resort and took advantage of the multiple pools (in my opinion, the best on the island) and did some wading in the waters in front of the resort. The resort provides free use of kayaks and we took them out to the reef which is very close to shore and snorkeled. We also went into town almost every day to shop and eat, which I’ll cover shortly. Other activities we did included renting a golf cart to drive in to town and explore the rest of the island, an all day Beach BBQ through the hotels tour provider, Tuf-E-Nuf and a another trip to the Lamanai mayan ruins on the mainland, again through Tuf-E-Nuf. The golf cart was a fund an interesting experience to get to see the entire island and go to rarely visited or seen places in photos. The Beach BBQ was actually amazing. It lasted almost the entire day (8am to 4pm) and included having a local take us out fishing & snorkeling near the reef. We went to several different spots and we’re provided with complimentary beer, soda and water. The tour guide was amazing. We caught fresh fish from the ocean which he then cooked for lunch and made us ceviche as well. My wife and I both think this may have been our best meal on the island as it was so fresh and authentic. As for the snorkeling, we got to see a green moray eel, many rays and a nurse shark in addition to many other exotic fish and coral. This activity was not very expensive (IMHO) and would be highly recommended to anyone who enjoys being out in the water. We also went to Lamanai on the mainland our last day before leaving. What an incredible trip. I will forewarn that it’s a longer journey, but well worth it. You have to get to the mainland (either by boat or air, we did boat) and then bus an hour to a site on the New River where you take another river boat with a tour guide for about another 45 mins when you finally arrive at Lamanai. Along the ride up we encountered spider monkeys that came aboard the boat and ate tons of bananas. I have lots of great photos and video footage that I’ll try and post on here. That boat ride also helps make the trip more special, IMO. Finally at Lamanai and it is just a beautiful, unspoiled site. One of the more remarkable things I’ve ever seen in my life. The guide was a local, very knowledgeable and also even had his mother provide a home cooked meal for us at the end of the tour. Can’t say enough about how excellent the organized activities were.

San Pedro is a great little town, lots to see, do and eat! We did the Chicken Drop at Pier Lounge and had a good time with that. As per the suggestions of some locals, we ate at several places in town: Waraguma, Estelle’s, Wild Mango’s and Caliente. Caliente was decent, nothing special, although their ceviche was excellent. Waraguma, Estelle’s and Wild Mango’s were all excellent. The burritos at Waraguma will blow you away! Wild Mango’s is right on the water and Estelle is as well and has a unique sand floor all throughout the dining areas. And for desert, on several occasions, we had ice cream from Dandee’s. It might be the best ice cream I’ve ever had. Simply amazing, especially the coconut flavor. If you’re an ice cream fan, you have to go there! Also, ate at the Upper Deck at Belizean Shores on several occasions since it was 2 min walk from out room. Good food and fair prices. We did one really expensive meal at Capricorn. Beware, the food is expensive, but the view, ambience and food were magnificent.

As for the island in general, we were out several times at night (8, 9, 10pm) and never felt unsafe or threatened. As a matter of fact, at no point on the island did we ever feel that way. Everyone we came across said hello and were friendly. I wanted to address that since its been a hot topic on this board before.

That’s really all I have at this point as I think I covered everything, I’ll be sure to chime in more if I think of anything and respond to any questions travelers may have. It was our first time to Belize, where I had wanted to visit for years, and I wlked away wanting more. Ambergris Caye is a very special place and I would recommend it to anyone looking to travel abroad. I already can’t wait to go back. Thanks again to everyone on this board who answered my many questions before my trip. Take care!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Thanks for the review. Glad you had such a fun time.

Saint Paul...
4 posts
2. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Hi, sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I was wondering if you booked your tours before you left or while you were there?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Booked tours on site at the hotel when we go there. They were very easy to deal with. You can also go into town and check other places/prices if you want to shop around. I was willing to book at/through the hotel becausely it was extremely convenient.

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Great trip report.

Totally agree on DandE's coconut - I love that on a sugar cone with a fudge bulls-eye yum.

Who was your beach barbecue guide?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

Our Beach BBQ was through Tuf-E-Nuf. Our guide was Elias.

Edited: 9:15 am, August 04, 2010
6. Re: Trip Report: 7/19-7/26 (Honeymooners!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 01, 2011
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro