We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Alex

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Alex

I read that they opened up some shelters in San Pedro and some people chose to go back to the mainland because of the storm. Did anyone stay on AC through it? If so, how bad was it?

I ask because we're headed to San Pedro in 3 weeks. I probably should get the trip insurance through my travel provider.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

I'm sure some people did choose to leave the island. I'm guessing most stayed, and I've read there isn't any damage. As tropical storms go, this wasn't much of an event.

You always hear lots of hype beforehand, and there should be. People who live on areas where hurricanes come need to pay attention and be prepared.

When it's passed over and headed away, not much is heard about the event, unless there was major damage.

I'd never tell anyone not to get travel insurance, but hurricanes really don't happen very often in Belize, and not very often in June and July. Of course, the weather has been crazy this year......

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
323 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

Well, we are certainly hoping for the best. Didn't seem like they got it too bad, but only locals could confirm that for us.

We have trip insurance but are still planning to arrive on Sat. 7/3 as per original plan -- Ambergris Caye, we'll see you in 5 days!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

Take a look at Tacogirl's blog.

http://tacogirl.com/

She posts here and has lived on the island several years.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

Would not have even considered for a second leaving the island for this one. We stayed for Dean Felix and tropical storm Arthur too. Tropical storm Alex was very tame compared to ts Arthur some stuff did get blown around but all in all from what I have seen / heard damages were very minor. Some of us on the island lost power but it went back on in the middle of the night.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

We chose to evacuate the guests from TBR as all of our cabanas line the beach. Also my wife is pregnant and I did not want her stranded on the island with limited options for medical facilities. We boarded up our water top restaurant, a few of the cabanas and pulled our smaller boats out of the water. As it turned out there was no damage, just a messy beach. I would do the same in retrospect as these storms can grow very fast and the forecast is only that.... a forecast. A couple of our guests came back to the resort as we reopened the next day. Most were checking out anyway. We are very happy that there was no damage but more importantly that our guests and staff are and were all safe.

Cheers,

Carlos

St. Louis
Level Contributor
55 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

We stayed through the storm (just got back home last night), we had our kids 10, 10 and 8 with us and turned it into an adventure.. We were up north at Coco Beach. Had a fun time watching the storm roll in from our ocean view room. People who stayed hung out in the hot tub and the bar stayed open late. Power stayed on except for a few blinks.

That said, this was a tropical storm. Not sure we would have stayed had it been projected at hurricane strength.

Funny enough turned out to be a high point of our stay!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

The government will call for mandatory evacuation if they think a big storm will hit. The last thing residents need is to have to be concerned with guests when there is a hurricane coming. Remember resort owners have a duty of care to their employees, they have their own families to think of too, and the work involved in preparing for a "big breeze" is in itself very exhausting - I speak from experience. Hurricane parties and the like have lead to deaths before now, the example is Iris in 2001.

I would have stayed on AC personally, as hurricane forecasting is getting so much more accurate, and it seemed clear that this was not going to be a big hit, but I think Carlos was right in his circumstances. The sensible thing is to listen to Love FM and do what NEMO advises.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

We were staying at Captain Morgan's for TS Alex and did just fine despite the clocked winds of 75mph at the resort. The rain wasn't as bad as what had been expected but the wind damaged several of the thatched roofs. By dawn, however, staff were busy picking up debris, raking sand and getting everything back in order. By mid-afternoon the new resort guests could not even tell it had rained . . . it was amazing!! The water, however, was another story. The storm made snorkeling and diving a little more challenging. Even at depths of 90' we were feeling strong water movement. All in all . . . not too bad as storms go!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

We are considering traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday this year and I read that you have lived in Belize for several years. What kind of weather can we expect in Nov.? Is Oct better?

Thanks!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm Alex

There is less likelihood of hurricane in November and it would probably be less windy - october is generally a windy month. Temps will be about the same.