We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Visiting AC next month and we are looking at doing one of the Mayan Ruin day trips. So the question is, what is a better site/trip: Altun Ha or Lamanai? Any and all input/feedback is greatly appreciated!

Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Lamanai is the better trip hands down.

Better temple located right on the river with lots of wildlife to see also such as Crocs Birds monkeys and more.

Altun Ha is really only a half day trip and the second half is at a Spa which is ok if your into that, but if you want a great scenic trip with lots of wildlife and a great day out choose Lamanaii you wont be sorry.

Gaz Cooper

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
323 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

This is a great question. We will be arriving in 3 weeks and were also considering these trips. Altun Ha is definetly cheaper.

One question I had was with regard to the "touristy" aspect of either trip. We've traveled to Mexico and know how you can be shuttled to "Mayan villages" after the tour, and I'm just not into that staged kind of set-up. I do however, want to see some inland parts of Belize and the Lamanai seems more inclusive of seeing the lay of the land.

OH - and would love to hear someone's BEST recommendation for mosquito repellant because those dang things always get me! If Lamanai, I'm picturing myself by days' end with welts all over from being eaten alive on the river and in the jungle!

Thanks for anyone's replies!

Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Lamanai is not like those staged places this is right on the jungle on the river as for Mozzies a good deet based repellant such as OFF will do the trick.

Lamanai is more money than Altun Ha but you get what you pay for its well worth it and if price is an issue with a bit of searching you can find a company that offer 20% Off the advertised rates for Lamanai useing the same companys..

Gaz Cooper

Sturbridge...
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Cactas juice, it was the only thing that worked in Roatan.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Lamanai would be the better ruin. I use Avon skin so soft. It seems to keep all of the bugs away. Sandflies are worse than mosquitoes, and it works for those too.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

I would also say that Lamanai is the right choice.

The insect repellent that I find works the best is made by Watkins. Watkins is one of the pyramid schemes I think but this stuff is awesome! It is simply called "Watkins Insect Repellent Lotion". Unfortunately I'm not sure where you can buy it.

Cheers,

Carlos

Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

Is this the stuff Carlos

http://www.jcwatson.com/page5.html

Gaz

8. Re: HELP! Altun Ha or Lamanai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 15, 2010