We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife

Visiting in late July and wanted to know about the natural wildlife I might come across on the island. I'm pretty sure I've seen posts about iguanas. Another other "exotic" animals that I might see around the island?

Windsor...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife

Dogs?

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife

Birds - iguanas - lizards - geckos - marine life if you are walking along the beach.

If you are open and look for it you will definitely see some good stuff. For example if you walk the beach when the fishermen are cleaning fish you will be sure to see pelicans and quite possible some rays and crabs waiting for scraps.

At the end of Ramons dock (and many others) you can always see fish. That is a good free snorkel spot. They have put some concrete down and started an artificial reef. tacogirl.com/2009/05/tuesday-adventure/

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife

You may also see crocodiles, on the lagoon side of the island.

We've seen a couple of raccoons.

On the north end of the island, there are squirrels.

Far north, I've read there are wild boar, also some cats, but they're almost never seen.

Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife

If your staying in a less inhabited area such as North you could see Anteaters, Boa Constrictors Racoons, Wild Pigs although I have never seen one I have heard them on many occasions.

Also I have seen a crocodile Under the dock at what is now Xaman Ek Resort

Lots of wildlife on the island..

Gaz Cooper

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife

Thanks! I'm kind of a wildlife enthusiast, so I was looking forward to just taking a day to explore the island and take some pictures of the local wildlife. I see the Toucan is the country's official bird. Any chances of seeing one of them on the island?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife

There were a few toucans on the island after a hurricane blew through a few years ago. They probably died. There isn't enough food for them on the island.

New England
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife

Very small sea horses under docks everywhere.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife

jrosborne, Belize has an incredible variety of wildlife and some of the most amazing ecosystems in the world.

You really need to spend some time inland to experience this. Some of the easiest wildlife viewing can be found at the Mayan sites and the Belize Zoo is a must see as well.

Some of my wildlife photos from our April trip can be viewed on the first two pages...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife

There are actually even small deer up here on the north end of the island.

Cheers,

Carlos

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildlife

The water is very clear and you should be able to see quite a lot just peering off the docks. Look out for snappers, small baracuda.

If you want to see a wider variety then you do need to go onto the mainland. I see toucans and parrots just about every time I go shopping!