We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the Crime Situation?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
335 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What's the Crime Situation?

Considering a trip to La Perla Del Caribe San Pedro - Ambergris Caye and see that there are warning about crime from the US Embassy. Is this a safe destination for a family vacation? It looks beautiful....would appreciate all info possible. Thanks.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

less crime than most caribean/central america destinations

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

I would not hesitate to recommend San Pedro as a safe family destination. Naturally, normal common sense precautions are advised eg not walking alone in quiet places after dark, no ostentatious shows of jewelery, posessions, keep valuable in hotel safe - the same as you would do anywhere.

Belizeans are freindly, English speaking, like children and are very welcoming.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

One must appreciate the warning about crime, and remember that it is always better to be safe than sorry. You shouldn't worry about crime, especially if, as Belizequeen wrote, you use common sense while vacationing. Even paradise has its fair share of, let me be extremely euphemistic, hustlers.

Have a great vacation!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

The only place the US Embassy doesn't warn you about is the U.S.

The crime index per 100,000 people in your home state of Connecticut is 2,738.5, but there are no official records kept in Belize, so we can't compare.

The worst area for crime is in the Belize City. There is far less in the Cayes and far less in the mainland countryside. Most of the violent crime is related to illegal drug movements through the country that is destined for the U.S. market.

I found Belize to be very safe, but like any place, don't stumble around drunk at night in seedy places, don't wave around large amounts of cash, don't do drugs, etc.

If you are still incensed about going to a place with almost no crime, then nearby Cozumel is it.

Edited: 9:02 pm, April 22, 2010
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

I'm traveling to San Pedro in July. Done lots of research and I've looked at both the US Embassy website and the Dept of State website. I can't find that either shows an alert or warning for Belize, nevermind San Pedro. Do you mind sharing the link? Thanks in advance.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
335 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

Warden Message U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize May 12, 2009

Recent violent crimes involving visitors to the islands of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker serve as a reminder that everyone should take an active role in their own personal security. U.S. citizens residing and traveling in Belize should exercise caution when in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times.

Many parts of the country, including both urban and rural areas, have seen an increase in violent crime. In some instances, criminals have used physical force and intimidation or utilized weapons in the commission of crimes, especially in Belize City and Cayo District. While other areas of the country have lower levels of overall crime, the potential employment of violence is still a concern.

There is no evidence that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted because of their citizenship. The United States Government does not have any information about specific threats to American citizens but would like to share a self-assessment guideline used by government employees to help you increase your own personal security.

Daily Security

Stamford...
Level Contributor
335 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

…usembassy.gov/media/pdf/warden-message-12-m…

COMPLETE LINK

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

Thanks a lot. This is good information to have as it appears the US Embassy issues these notices for lots of popular tourists destinations around the globe. It seems that using good common sense and being aware is a good idea no matter where you are, especially traveling abroad. I'm not too worried because I don't plan on being alone or walking the streets in the late hours of the night and from the good folks on this board who live there and know the place well, they don't seem to think we're at a high risk either. Again, thanks for the info!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
335 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

I'm planning my trip now. I'm still going. Let me know how your trip turns out! Have fun!!!

Windsor...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the Crime Situation?

Use common sense. Don't bring anything of value. Make sure the windows are locked. Use the safe. Don't leave anything out to be seen from a window. Close the curtains when you are not there, and leave the TV on with a couple of lights. You should be fine. When I think of what was taken from our villa, it was insignificant stuff. sneakers, crocs, a small camera etc Stupid stuff really. If we had closed the curtains and left a tv on, maybe they would not have broken into our room.

I noticed a lot of regular contributors to this site are in the tourist business in AC. I don't take much stock in what they say about crime.

Just use common sense. Keep your ATM card on you, and lock cash and passports in the safe and you should be fine

Edited: 12:42 pm, April 26, 2010