We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Topic
Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

I am going to Amergris Caye next week. I plan on using Maya Island Air. Do I need to book now or am I better off booking there?

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

I can't think of any reason for not booking now. Both Maya and Tropic Air have enough flights to AC after an international flight arrives, that it isn't a problem. But, you'll get through the check in at Maya Air faster if you're already ticketed. Give you a chance to stop at Jet's Bar for your first drink in Belize while you wait for your Maya flight.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
california
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

You can usually book a flight to AC through your hotel and get some kind of discount.

Otherwise you can just walk up to the counters and buy a ticket at the airport - very easy to do.

Jet will come and get you to go to his bar in the domestic terminal. He will charge you a lot for one beer, but it will be worth it.

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

Thank you both for your information! I have to love that both of you mentioned having a drink at the airport. I promise we will do that! We are staying at Belizean Shores. My husband and I both dive but are also interested in doing at least one land tour. Any suggestions about anything are more than welcome! I did book out flight. THANKS!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

Every visit to Ambergris Caye that we take, we tell ourselves that we're going to go to Lamanai with Tanisha Tours. Five or six trips later, we still haven't made it. One time they were closed for vacation, but the other visits we just got on island time, and never made the arrangements. However, I hear it is a wonderful, all day tour.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Tanisha Tours
Tanisha Tours
52 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

Booking a flight helps. There are several to take and usually follow International arrivals.

When at Belizian Shores (great spot) take the time to walk the beach to the Rendezvous Restaurant and Winery just a short ditance north.

Great food, great wine (made on the premises) and a wonderful experience with Miss Colleen and staff!

Enjoy!

Missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

We just got back from there San pedro this week we did not book a flight until we landed in Belize city it was $50 a person on Maya Air that was for one way or if you booked round trip. So it is best to book round trip if you can. It was about an hour wait for our plane to leave. there is no reason to book ahead of time I didn't see anyone having any trouble getting on a flight.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

We just got back from there San pedro this week we did not book a flight until we landed in Belize city it was $50 a person on Maya Air that was for one way or if you booked round trip. So it is best to book round trip if you can. It was about an hour wait for our plane to leave. there is no reason to book ahead of time I didn't see anyone having any trouble getting on a flight.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Richmond, VA
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

What about taking a water taxi to AC instead of flying? As budget-conscious travelers, we were considering it simply because it costs less, but few people seem to do it...

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

the ferry ride is about $20 USD

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to book flight to Amergris Caye?

It's also around $20.00 to take a cab to get to the ferry. The ride if over an hour, and many of the boats aren't covered. Not worth the hassle for me. I keep thinking that one of these times I'm going to take the water taxi back to Belize City, but I never want to leave the island any earlier than I have to.