We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to amergris caye???

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
getting to amergris caye???

interested to hear what others are saying...by boat or by air? from belize city? which is cheaper? more fun? and the best way to get our holiday started?

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to amergris caye???

We were there last month. Getting to and from the Island, we took Maya Island Air. It was a blast in the single engine plane. We also did a mainland excursion out of Belize City, and took the "water taxi" over and back. That was great too, plus we got to see some of the other nearby cayes.! So, I'd say it's a toss up, you can't go wrong either way. By the way, it's 15 mins or so via plane, an hour or so via boat.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to amergris caye???

We've always flown from the international airport. Just a short walk from customs to the check in at Tropic Air or Maya Island Air. Then an arrival drink at Jet's Bar before the 15 minute flight to San Pedro. The flight from BZE costs about twice as much as the flight from the municipal airport. But, you have to take a cab to municipal, which costs about $20.00US.

Some people love taking the water taxi. But, they're pretty small, open boats. If it rains, you'll be wet. Our flights don't arrive until 3:30 or so in the afternoon, any delays and we'd be stuck in Belize City overnight.

Maybe fly one way and take the water taxi the other. See what you think.

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to amergris caye???

whats the cost of the boat from belize city to amergris caye? vs the single engine plane? we arrive at lunchtime, so think we'd rather do the boat since we have the time - plus im not big on the small craft.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to amergris caye???

The water taxi is about $15.00US, one way. I think the plane from Municipal is $30.00US one way, $54.00 from BZE.

I'm not a big fan of small planes myself, but that ride is only 15 minutes and the views are beautiful. They fly at only a few thousand feet, the color of the water is awesome. If you're lucky you might even get to ride in the co-pilot seat.....

sacramento
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to amergris caye???

We've gone on Maya Air, Tropic Air & by water taxi. The water taxi is not as fun as you might think. It was really crowded and loud and the boat is going very fast. You don;t get to enjoy the scenary. Also, once you get your seat on the boat, it can be another 1/2 hour before it leaves.

Definitely the plane!!!!

sacramento
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to amergris caye???

We've gone on Maya Air, Tropic Air & by water taxi. The water taxi is not as fun as you might think. It was really crowded and loud and the boat is going very fast. You don;t get to enjoy the scenary. Also, once you get your seat on the boat, it can be another 1/2 hour before it leaves.

Definitely the plane!!!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to amergris caye???

Fly..........the view is awsome!

Mike in Tulsa

Anchorage, alaska
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to amergris caye???

water taxi is the best if you arrive early enough! I enjoyed the sights of all the little cayes on the way and the water is incredible. Yes sometimes it's pretty crowded but its usually locals so you gat the the feel of the people and the island right away. It's extremly affordable and little planes are scary to me!!! Have a great time anyway you go its so cool there!

Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to amergris caye???

FLY, FLY, FLY! The boat ride is long and tiresome, especially if it is choppy.