We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Street / Beach" Food

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
"Street / Beach" Food

Hi all

We're thinking of a Belize trip for US Thanksgiving (end of Nov) and are considering staying at the Caribbean Villas Hotel - don't want to spend a lot for a short 5 day trip.

Anyway, we absolutely LOVE street or beach hut food where local folks are just cooking up local fare on the street or a little hut on the beach. Other than in Cuba I haven't found a lot of this lately and was wondering if we'll have any luck in the San Pedro area. Love eating freshly caught fish with sand between my toes.

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

Lots of food vendors in the park in town

Galveston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

Just returned from Ambergris Caye and had a wonderful time. I saw alot of street vendors grilling chicken, pork ribs, etc. I didn't get to try any, but it smelled amazing. I stayed in Ambergris Caye for six days and didn't have one bad meal, everything was awesome. The best meal I had was a beach bbq of fresh caught snapper and lobster on our guided fishing trip. Have fun and enjoy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

"The best meal I had was a beach bbq of fresh caught snapper and lobster on our guided fishing trip"

That sounds delicious!!! Will have to try to find that somewhere in town too :)

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

I concur with the others about the street food in San Pedro. It is good and I tried out a fair number of them, grilled chicken with rice, fried beef with peppers in a tortilla, grilled maize, etc, with most of them munched on the sea wall looking at all the boats and street theatre. If you want to be reassured about the quality, then look at the number of locals who patronise these stalls daily and who obviously enjoy the food. Most of them are to be found in Central Park, an open area on the sea side of Front Street. Also there are also a number of small snack bars throughout San Pedro which also sell good local food.

There is a daily fish market in Back Street so if you don't have a fishing rod, buy some fish there and your hotel should be able to cook it for you.

Bon appetit.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

Caribbean Villas has started having occasional beach barbecues at their new beach bar on Sundays. I don't think there's a particular schedule though.

There's more street food on the weekends, although you won't go hungry any evening. There's also a large number of small, local 'taco stands'. Neri's comes to mind, we ate a light dinner for two for the cost of US$3.50 for both of us.

Fresh fish is unexpectedly expensive in San Pedro. Most that is caught goes to restaurants, or private dinner tables, and cheap fish dinners don't seem to be had. What's available in restaurants is excellent though. If you go on a fishing trip, most of the restaurnats will cook your fish for you at a reasonable cost.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

kmcgill.....who did you go with for your fishing trip and beach bbq? How was the fishing? I like to use guides whom others have had good experiences with. Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

Definitely try the street food and the local restaurants (we tried: Los Cocos, Esperanza's, Waraguma, Shelly's, and My Secret Deli). They are super cheap and yummy (we ate huge meals for $3-6 US per person).

We also went fishing with Mr. Hill. You know the dive shop Chuck and Robbie's? Go there and ask to go fishing with Mr. Hill. We got a great rate, caught lots of fish (including 2 huge barracuda's) and had an awesome beach bbq (with lobster too).

Colorado
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

What times are the street vendors open in the park in the middle of town? Are they there for lunch and dinner and how late are they there at night?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

When we were there it seemed the street vendors were always open.. all day long and well into the night... Waraguma's papusa stand was definitely open late.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Street / Beach" Food

Ahhhhh street vendor food :)

My mouth is already watering.

After going out every night they would have street vendors selling all kinds of food until the wee hours. I had different tacos every night we were there. The first night everyone in my group thought I was insane to buy food off the street. By the third night every single person in my group wanted some "after party tacos" as I named them :)

On our last day before we went to the airport we did some last minute shopping and found this guy that was selling Jamaican Jerk Chicken by the water. One of my friends is Jamaican so we had her sample some before we all committed. She said it was pretty authentic and after speaking to the guy that was grilling found out that he is from Jamaica. It was a really cheap price (can't recall the exact amount sorry) and was plenty of food. Looking back I probably could have shared with someone else.

We got our food and brought it over to the water and sat under a shaded tree and just enjoyed our last few moments of AC. It was a simple moment, but one of the best moments of our trip.

Great last meal!!!! :)