We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

Richmond , VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

I wanted to know how far it is from town the resort was?

Are the drinks in town as expensive as I have heard they are at the resorts?

Also Does San Pedro have a good night life? Like bands or fun bar's or ect....

This is my honeymoon and the only space they still have left are the Sea Breeze Bungalows - any advice or Pro's/Con's about these?

Certain Bungalows to ask for?

I am going in Oct.. any clue how the weather is?

Just kinda all around questions before I pull the trigger and book...

THANKS Mike H And The Future Jen H

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
The Phoenix Resort
The Phoenix Resort
#1 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Xanadu Island Resort
Xanadu Island Resort
#2 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
#3 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

Mata Chica is about five miles from town. You'd need to take a water taxi, at least in the evening. You could bike it during the day.

I've never had drinks at Mata Chica, but stopped at Journey's End for a beer this past February as we were biking around. The bottle of Belikin there was more than twice what it is at many of the bars in town.

If you are drinking imported liquor, the drinks are going to be expensive anywhere in Belize that you go. If you like Belikin or drinks made with the local rum (which is very good), drinks are reasonable, at least in town.

October is pretty quiet in San Pedro. Some places close down for vacations and/or renovations. There will still be music somewhere pretty much every night, but not as many options.

I've never been in October, September is really hot. You're also in hurricane season. Get some travel nsurance.

I can't help with Mata Chica itself.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Richmond , VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

How late do water taxi's run? and how much are they usally?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

The water taxi runs until about 10pm, later on the weekend.

I stay south of town, so I've never used it. I keep reading $10.00 one way, I don't know if that's Belize dollars or US, I think Belize.

Mata Chica probably makes scheduled runs into town as well. Most of the resorts up north do.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Richmond , VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

Thanks. I will check that out with the resort.

So is Oct usually a very rainy time (Besides when there is a hurricane)? Or is it just hurricane season?

I see there is a bridge that says golf cart and walking bridge... Is it just as smart to rent a golf cart for the week so I don't have to worry with getting the water taxi's?

Also my parents were reminding me that there use to be Crab Races in town... Do they still do that?

Any Fav Restaurants / Bar's I need to Hit?

Mikey

* Also Thanks for the drink advice - Looks like for drinking I will just walk around with a bottle of rum hanging off my belt rather than $8 a drink.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

It's the rainy season, go to Weather Underground and check out the historical data. Although it's the tropics and the fact that it rains quite a bit frequently means a very short shower, often at night.

There really isn't much of a road north of the bridge. People do take golf carts as far north as Mata Chica, but, I don't think as a normal means of transportation to and from town. Just too much of a hassle. At night, the water taxi is the way to go.

Mata Chica is next door to what is arguably the best restaurant on the island, Rojo Lounge. Expensive, but very good.

In town, I like Blue Water Grill, Mango's, Sunset Grill for higher end. I also eat a lot of street food, cheap and good.

Lots of fun bars on the beach, Fidos has live music, in season almost every night, probably weekends in October. Playa Lounge is new, lots of couches to lounge on. Just wander until you find one that fits your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
2,770 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
6. Re: Questions about Matachica Beach Resort.. For My HoneyMoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 02, 2009