We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for young single person (and other questions)....

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for young single person (and other questions)....

Hi Everyone -

I am in need of some planning advice.

I am doing the "Great Escape" for my dreaded 30th birthday. Just me, single gal.

I am looking to go Nov. 1-9. Is this too many days, not enough?

I am a diver so I definitely want to enjoy that while I am there, want to see the ruins, and just do nothing by the pool or beach.

What hotels are recommended?

I know the north area ones are a bit removed, so since I am on my own I want access to restaurants, and not have to worry about walking alone long distances in the evenings. If I pick a hotel up north are their restaurants on the property or near by?

If I stay near the town or south, am I still getting the quiet atmosphere.

What is the better option for a single person, I want to explore San Pedro (are there shops and neat restaurants?), but I want to mainly do nothing but dive and relax and pamper myself.

Really want a great beach and pool to sit by and would love to get a massage. Is there a hotel that offers spa/massage services? Any spas in town?

Also, what are the best diving companies?

Whew, lots of questions, facing a deadline, and gotta make soem decisions fast!

Many thanks for any advice!

Aspen, Co
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for young single person (and other questions)....

Hi peppergirl

My new wife Kelly and Myself (Rob) are from Aspen, Co and are celebrating our honeymoon here now and saw your post, so we thoght We'd share what we know breifly.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! ;>)

You will have a great time if you accept a couple things.

First, many most and nearly all beach access is obstructed by retaining walls to save the beach during storms. There are beautiful beaches- they just don't flow smoothly into the ocean.

second- right now is off season and the traditional $50 a week water taxi is not offered, leaving 1 way trips at US $12.50 each way.

The weather has been great all week- It rained all last week, but I guess We brought the sun!! :)

If We were you, here's what we would do after knowing what we know.

1. We would book4-6 days in town at someplace like Ramon's Village or just a bit further south at Xanadu. They have cool pools and nice tropical feel- although xanadu has no resteraunt or bar.

Banyan Bay is a great place also.

2. I would mov e to a place up the coast like Costa Maya Reef Resort, Mata Chica or Belezian Shores. Theay have resteraunts, bars, pools and trips right from the resorts.

3. We LOVED Tropical Touch Spa!!!!!!

4. We used BAD Divers (Beleize Diving Academy) and they were fun. Ecologic Divers have a real good reputation also.

5. Blue Water Grill is the BEST resteraunt we've been to. Fido's bar is the big hot spot and you'll "meet" someone there if you want ;>>

Remember to book the small plane from Belize City to San Pedro from Tropic Air- it's about $100 us round trip.

rob@rfsmartsystems.com is our email if you have more q's

HAVE FUN!!

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Ecologic Divers
Ecologic Divers
809 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
2,677 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for young single person (and other questions)....

Suggest some of the smaller places, or at least more friendly for the single traveler--Exotic Caye, Banana Beach, Mata Rocks, Sunbreeze, maybe Pedro's, Changes in latitude. These would be less expensive, close to town, and likely to meet other singles. Any will have diving companies available, and you can be picked up nearby or in front. Better to stay closer to town, and avoid the water taxis if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Pedro's
Pedro's
16 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
3. Re: Best hotel for young single person (and other questions)....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, September 12, 2009