We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye with young children

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
4 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye with young children

We are staying on Ambergris Caye this August. We will have five adults and my two children, 1 year and 6 years. We are interested in doing at least one mainland excursion, like cave tubing or zip line and one of the ruins. Is this feasible with young children? Can you even take kids this young cave tubing (is it safe, do they allow it)? I'd love to hear from a family with young kids who did one of the tours and which one they did.

It sounds like these day trips make for long days and we just want to make sure it is worth it.

Also, can anyone recommend any operators?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye with young children

Just came back from there with our kids and the grandkids, ages 5 and 8. We did Lamanai with them, and they did great. There is a bit of walking involved over uneven ground, so depending on how well the 1 year old walks (runs) you should probably take a backpack like carrier. It is a really long day, but the kids really enjoyed it. They both climbed to the top of the temple.

Cabot, Arkansas
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye with young children

We just got back from San Pedro last week and did the cave tubing/zipline excursion to Belize city. It is a very long day. But very worth it. We left at 7am and returned at 6pm. I'm not sure about the 1year old doing the zip line, the cave tubing might be ok. They also might have age requirements, You might want to check that out. It is an awsome excursion...I would definately do it if you can. You are going to have a great time...It was my first trip to Ambergris Caye and I can't wait to return...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye with young children

I was on an excursion to Lamanai in February and there was a woman on the tour with her nine year old and a one year old. She had lots of relatives and friends with her, but her child was at that 'I only wany my mom' age. Poor Mom was exhausted by the end of the day. You can't let those little toddlers run off the trails at Lamanai, poisonous snakes are in the area.

I bet you could arrange child care for the one year old in San Pedro and have a more enjoyable excursion for the rest of the family. The tours back to the mainland really do take all day.

Austin
Level Contributor
4 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye with young children

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

5. Re: Ambergris Caye with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 05, 2009