We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
219 reviews
139 helpful votes
Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Hi Folks

Heading to Belize this year for 30 days ... will be in San Pedro for half of the time and will need to renew tourist visa for additional 30 days (after 30 day stamp upon arrival) ... seems difficult to find clear information on this in terms of process, location and cost. I would expect something like this to be spelled out clearly somewhere but it is proving elusive to me! If anyone had a link to this I would appreciate it ... specifically as it pertains to doing so in San Pedro. Or if you have gone through this process yourself and can share info on all of this it would be most appreciate. Thank in advance to anyone who can assist ... I've searched other forums but haven't had success going that route either! Cheers!

8 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Level Contributor
16,883 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

I’m not the best at explaining things, but, I’ll try and walk you through it.

The Immigration office is located above the Scotia Bank building, right across from Tropic Air. You go in, present your passport, they may ask a couple of questions, they hand you a small piece of paper which states how much you have to pay, in your case BZ$50.00.

You walk out the door, down the ‘hallway’ (it’s really a balcony) a couple doors to the treasurer’s office. Go in, the place you pay is to the right. Give them your passport and the paper, and the cash. They write out a receipt and you take that back to the Immigration office.

Wait in line again, they look at the receipt, sometimes ask a few questions, and then, they stamp your passport.

Really pretty easy, we’ve been doing this every winter for eight or nine years, it’s gotten simpler over the years.

If the above is ‘clear as mud’, don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
219 reviews
139 helpful votes
2. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Sorry folks ... I mistyped ... I will be in Belize for 60 days not 30 days and hence my question!

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
219 reviews
139 helpful votes
3. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

That is perfectly clear! Thanks so much for the insight and information! Very much appreciated!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
4. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

The questions I was asked were basic things like what was my reason for coming to Belize, where was I staying, how long did I intend to stay, and how did I like Belize. I was never asked to prove I had any funds/money.

And while I was never asked to show it, you might want to take your return ticket with you just in case.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
219 reviews
139 helpful votes
5. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Great thanks again! :)

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Jeanh is correct concerning the process and location. You should however wait until the very last day (make sure the office is open that day) to renew your visa if you require a full 30 day extension. One of the friends we made here went in to the visa office on Feb 28th (they are staying until March 31st) expecting to have it renewed to the end of the following month. Unfortunately they only stamped it to March 27th meaning they will have to return and pay again on the 27th to extend to March 31st. When they inquired they were told it is only good for 30 days minus one day. This does not always seem to be the case as we renewed this morning; March 2nd and were renewed to April 1st. Another friend we made here had the one day less applied requiring them to go in their final day before departure to renew at $50 BZE for the one day.

Tomball, Texas
1 post
7. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

Still confused. Want to stay for about 6 months to see if I like it. Do I need a return ticket

Yucatan Peninsula...
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
8. Re: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro

It's more likely that the airline *might* ask for a return/onward ticket when you check-in for the flight to Belize. If asked, just say you intend to apply for permanent residence.

It's unlikely that Belize Immigration will ask for a return/onward ticket, but if they do, say you intend to apply for permanent residence in Belize.

Reply to: Renewing Tourist Visa in San Pedro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted