We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

A few friends and I (all around 30yrs old) are planning a trip for February. We're torn between staying at one of the nicer beach resorts north of the bridge or somewhere close to town. Is it easy to get a taxi to/from or rent a bike and ride back and forth to a place like Belizean Shores? Are there good bars/restaurants/grocery stores that are easy to get to in the north too? Or should we just stay in town?

21 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

I live a mile south of town when I’m on the island. I think the location is perfect. Easy walk, or very short golf cart (or cab) ride to town. Several bars, restaurants, grocery stores close by.

Look at Xanadu or Banyan Bay, nice resorts south of town. More moderate, look at Isla Bonita Yacht Club or Caribbean Villas.

Though with the road paved (and, from what i read today, now with street lights) staying at Beizean Shores isn’t near the hassle it used to be. Cabs seem to charge more to go north (over and above the cost of the toll), then, they do to go south.

There are more and more bars and restaurants opening up north of the bridge. You’ll have a great time whatever you decide.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Nice options south of town too. Fewer people the further north you travel

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Thanks for the responses. Looking in our budget, it seems the only options available are Belizean Shores or a couple of please in town. I think we're leaning towards Belizean because it looks like a beautiful beach resort for a good price, which seems like it's somewhat rare in this area? I didn't see anything comparable for that price (I think Orbitz has it for a little over $200) closer to town or south of town. Maybe I missed something?

Does anyone have any golf cart/bike rental recommendations on the island? Even better, has anyone attempted biking from the Belizean Shores/Coco Beach area to the bars/restaurants in town? How reliable is the water taxi if needed?

My main concern with staying in the north is getting grocery items for breakfast and buying alcohol. Are there reasonably priced places around that area (3.5miles north of town) or are we better off stocking up the first day when we get in on the water taxi?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

We stay North when we want downtime, in town or just south if we dont. While there are a few exceptions pretty much any beach will be just that, some sand, maybe wider, maybe not, but the water access will still be best from the end of a pier. There are some limited grocery options north but you would do better price wise at Super buy or others in town. Consider renting a cart, it is great to have the freedom.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Did you look at Caribbean Villas? Their two bedroom condos are pretty decent for the price, I like them much better than the one bedroom units there.

I’m just thinking a group of 30 year olds would be happier in the long run to be closer to town.

Also, look at Corona Del Mar. Not fancy at all, but, the units are decent and the location is great.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Jeanh is spot on. Those are 2 good options. I would add Paradise Villas as well . Quiet location with a good dock right in the middle of everything. Go north when yer older!

Edited: 5:49 pm, December 18, 2017
BRANTFORD
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

We just returned from the Belizean Shores. Wonderful resort...but it was quiet at the time when we were there. I would highly recommend renting a golf cart to get around. We rented right from the resort...good quality carts and really convenient. They have bikes on site...but day time would be okay but not too sure I would ride at night ! LOL! We stocked up with pop, juice, rum at the Mata Grande Grocery to get us started...but in town there are bigger grocery stores, liquor etc. We also bought duty free in the airport. Rum was cheap on the island...wine not so much! I would not chose to stay any further north than the Belizean shores..the road is pretty rough to say the least. You may want to make a trip over to Secret Beach fun day. For tours we booked with Tuff e nuff right off the dock at the Coco Beach next door. Worked out great! Have a wonderful trip . AC is an awesome destination.

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Thanks for the help everyone! The group voted and we'll be heading to Belizean Shores. I think we are going to attempt to rent bikes to get around and maybe a cart for a day depending on prices. Is the night ride bad because of traffic, or because it's dark and bumpy and everyone has a few drinks in them haha

Vicki, if you don't mind, what was Belizean Shores charging for their carts?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Getting around on a bike is fun, do be careful at night that far north, gets pretty dark! The ride into town and back is 8.5 to 10+ miles on a beach cruiser... doable but not real fun, a cart for town runs would be nice.

Belizean shores guestservices@belizeanshores.com can give you cart rates.

Enjoy!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?

Correction: Belizeans Shores is about 3.5 miles north of town

Reply to: First trip - North or South of the Bridge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted