We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight info

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Flight info

Hi guys, my husband and I are coming to Ambergris Caye in January for the first time. I'm always a little nervous trying a new destination and I was wondering if any could answer some questions for me. We are booked at Ramons Village.

Should I pre book my flight to Island or just buy ticket once there?

We usually go to Mexico and exchanged money at a Cambino in town. Does San Pedro have them? Where would I exchange if not? Is it even necessary? In Mexico you lose about 30% using US money, Is that the case here?

I'm open to any other helpful info, restaurant recommendations , cool bars, must sees!

Thanks Guys

2 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
1. Re: Flight info

I wouldn't buy tickets in advance unless I was landing late in the afternoon and aiming to get one of the last planes to go (also depends on time of year and whether or not a peak tourism period). However, it's always good to have your ticket in hand and know you have a seat, and won't have to wait if the next flight is full. Google "taco girl tropic air discount" for a 10% discount.

Estimate about 45 minutes to get through Immigration & Customs, then it's a 2-minute walk (if that) to the check-in counter for the flight ot San Pedro, so aim for a departure time about 1.5 hours after your landing time.

No need to change USD to BZD because US dollars are widely accepted in Belize. The fixed exchange rate is US$1 = BZ$2.

Make sure the notes you bring are in good to excellent condition (no writing or tears) otherwise it might not be accepted.

When you spend USD, you'll get BZD as change -- spend that first (including coins) because it will be difficult to change back to USD outside Belize.

Edited: 6:16 pm, November 25, 2017
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Flight info

Thanks for info!

Reply to: Flight info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro