We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec. gifts

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dec. gifts

My wife and I are considering bringing a third checked bag this trip. We would like to fill it with school supplies and give it to a couple pre-schools and especially the grade school at Caye Cauker. I suspect dragging a third bag will invite a customs check. I'm not sure how this would be handled. It wouldn't be the end of the world to pay customs, but I don't know how they figure the value if we don't have sales receipt or what the duty is on something like this. A years worth of here and there dollar store purchases yields few receipts. I doubt my stating it's all for donation will do much good. We both don't care for the notion of some one taking crayons, paper ,pencils, etc for the good of the govt. Any input is appreciated

4 replies to this topic
San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
969 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec. gifts

Get an official letter from the school you will be giving the donation to and present that to Customs along with your receipts. Depending on their mood, they are usually pretty generous about allowing real donations through. Just be nice and patient with them.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec. gifts

If you know school names ahead you can message them and see if they would be willing to give you a letter stating you are making a donation. If you need help finding schools pm me and I can help. Ocean Academy school on Caye Caulker is a great one they do amazing work with their kids.

Here is a wish list that I have for Brighter Tomorrow Preschool (on Ambergris Caye) to give you an idea of needs.

Hp 662 ink cartridges (black & color)

White Glue

Band aids

Play dough

Copy paper

Cardstock paper

Jumbo crayons

Note books

Pencils

12 inch plastic Rulers

Colouring books (big pictures)

Pencil Erasers

Beads

Magnifying glasses

Dry erase markers

Water paint and paint brushes

Electric laminator

Laminating pouches

Sheet protectors

Folder sheets

Folders

Name labels

Clear packing tape

Photo paper A4size

Electric pencil sharpener

Incentive stickers

Pipe cleaners

Googly eyes

Paper plates

Paper bags

Story books (big pictures)

Fidget toys

Magnets for children

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec. gifts

Thanks for your help. Looks like we need to do a little more planning and bring it on next trip.

Salt Lake City, Utah
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec. gifts

Check with Pack for a Purpose. packforapurpose.org

Reply to: Dec. gifts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted