We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

We are traveling to Belize in three weeks and are staying in a hotel in San Pedro without a restaurant. Can anyone recommend delicious, affordable dining around San Pedro, Ambergris Caye? Also, how expensive are the grocery stores compared to US?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Groceries are generally more expensive than the US. Especially if you buy imported foods. For example, if you buy a bag of Doritos, it will probably cost you twice what it would in the states. If you buy a bag of locally made tortilla chips, that will cost less than in the US.

Fruits that are grown in Belize are cheap, bananas, pineapples, sometimes melons. Grapes, apples, other fruits that are imported are quite expensive.

Restaurants that cater to tourists will cost about what a meal would in a city in the US. In general the restaurants in San Pedro are cheaper than the ones at resorts up north. I think that's true anywhere, hotel food tends to be expensive.

We go to My Secret Deli every Tuesday for their special, we either get fried chicken or chimole. A couple of beers each. Price is about BZ$25.00. Quite the bargain. The price isn't consistent, sometimes a few dollars more, sometimes less. Not sure why. It's usually the owner cashing us out.

There are numerous local taco stands where you can eat really cheap. Many are open for breakfast and dinner, and are closed over lunch. I've never understood why. You can get really good breakfast burritos for BZ5.00 or less at many of these places.

The places on the beach tend to be more expensive, but, at least for lunch and breakfast, you come to Belize for the water, might as well eat with a view.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Thanks for the great suggestions! I look forward to the local cuisine, the fresh fruit, and fresh seafood. I'm so excited to visit Belize!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

There are some great inexpensive places on back street. Briana's Imis a great place you can enjoy their local cuisine.

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Two of the more affordable places we found that we thought were really good were Itza Belizean Place and Caroline's Cookin'. Worth checking out!

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

I've heard Neri's Tacos is good (and cheap).

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

our favorite cheap eats was a little place called Izzy's - salbutes, panades, tosdadas etc are all about 0.50-0.75 cents US per item, and the smoothies are decent and refreshing...especially with a splash of rum ;-)

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This is my first trip not staying at an all inclusive resort or on a cruise ship so I really look forward to immersing myself in the local cuisine and culture. And the snorkeling, of course!

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

So, we have rented a beach front house...with a full kitchen...we enjoy doing some cooking...

The property where we are staying has a driver that will pick us up at the airport and will stop by a grocery on the way to the property...

In terms of what we should bring with us vs. what we buy there.....

Are there recommendations of those items we should bring with us from the US due to higher costs in Belize?

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
969 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

I can't imagine it would be worth bringing anything unless you have special dietary needs. You can get anything you want/need here. Imported items are, of course, more expensive than you would be used to at home, but you're on holiday. The last thing I want when I travel is extra luggage.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get affordable eats in San Pedro

Mixed nuts is the expensive healthy snack food I always recommend bringing.