We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

London, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

Any suggestions of where to go? We're 29. I do want to dive/snorkel, would like someo quiet times and some times with music, nightlight etc.

Basically, we are just looking forward to relaxing on beautiful beaches and taking it easy.

We're all from London, UK and are so looking forward to it.

Any hints on where to go.

We have middle of range budget.

Thanks everyone!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

With two weeks, I'd head to more than one spot. Travel in Belize is quick and easy via the two domestic airlines.

The busiest and most developed beach destination is Ambergris Caye. It's also my favorite spot. Lots of restaurants and hotel choices. Live music of some sort every night if you're inclined. It's also the most expensive, but still very reasonable. The reef is only half a mile from shore here, means no wave action and lots of sea grass on the beach. But, the water is that wonderful Caribbean blue and many of the hotels have docks that you can swim off of.

Cheaper and more laid back is Caye Caulker. I've never stayed there, but people love it. It's a great place to spend a day, even if you aren't staying there.

We've also stayed at Placencia. The beaches are a bit better, but the water didn't seem to have to great color. The reef is 20 miles out, longer boat rides for snorkeling/diving.

Other options are the outer atolls. Not much to do but dive, snorkel and lay on the beach.

And don't overlook the interior of the country. Cave tubing, Mayan ruins, neat rivers. Making our first trip to San Ignacio in a couple months, so can't give any first hand impressions yet.

London, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

Thanks for your help! How much are we talking for accommodation etc?

Thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

For Ambergris Caye I mean

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

Huge range of prices for accomodations on Ambergris Caye. Past two visits we've stayed at Belizean Reef, absolutely beautiful one bedroom condo, $100.00 per night (if five or more nights) in the off season. I *think* $135.00 per night in season. Only downside to the place is no pool.

Next visit we'll be at The Palms (Belizean Reef didn't have availabillity for our dates) for $138.00 per night. Once again one bedroom condo.

You can get basic hotel rooms, on the beach, for about $50.00, but they will be pretty basic. Sunbreeze is a decent looking motel with rooms about $125.00, never stayed there, but I do like their restaurant.

Lots and lots of choices.

One more thing, many places charge a 10% 'service charge' in addition to the 9% tax for the rooms. It adds up in a hurry.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

check out the web site ambergriscaye.com and look under lodging. also their forum is great. You can do a search on any hotel you're interested in and get feedback from people who are there all the time and know what they're talking about. You can definately get great rates off season. Also, if it were me I would only stay at a place that has a pool because there is no swimming off the beach anywhere in ambergris because of the sea grass. you can swim off of the peers but its nice in between your diving trips to relax and take a dip without any hassles.

London, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

Thanks very much for your replies, will do some research.

Also, what currency did you use, its just I've ordered a credit card but am not sure it'll arrive in time for my hols. What about travellers cheques and other bank cards, debit cards, like maestro/cirrus/solo signs?

I so hope my credit card comes in time!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

travelers checques, visa, master card and ofcourse cash. I understand there is limited atm machines so don't depend on that. Also my hotel said not many places take american express. Most you can charge to your room such as food activities even plane fare from belize cityand pay the bill at the end. That site I gave you answers all those questions.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

Might want to check out Caye Chapel Island Resort - on one of the cayes off the coast of Belize, next to Caye Caulker. Especially nice if you enjoy golf, an awesome course and great accomodations. Not much nightlife, but seclusion, beautiful beaches and amazing food. ~ Cheers!

San Francisco area
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

I stayed at Mata Chica in Ambergris and the Blancaneaux Lodge in the Cayo District. See reviews we wrote. Neither place is really in the "middle range" budget. Two weeks is a lot of time to stay in one place. You would probably enjoy a change of venue at least once during that time. If you want to hang out at the beach the whole time, you may want to split your time between Ambergris and Placencia. You can fly from one to the other easily using Maya Air or Tropic Air. Can't comment on Placencia since we didn't go there. The beaches on Ambergris are pretty small. Maybe only 20 -30 ft. (or less) from the hotels to the water. Also, in order to preserve marine habit, the sea grass growing naturally along the shore has not been removed. It makes swimming difficult. The grass is a little yucky to walk on. The beach slopes down very gradually so you must go out quite far in order to swim in deeper water. Many places have long docks and you can swim off the end of the docks. If you get out far enough to get into deeper water, then you need to be aware of motor boats careening around. There is a lot of boat traffic up and down the Caye since there are many places inaccessible by road.

new york, new york
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Myself and 2 friends are going to Belize for 2 weeks

i am going to Ambergris Caye at the end of april. We are stayin at Sundiver. Any thoughts, comments?