We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris or Placencia

Alberta
3 posts
Save Topic
Ambergris or Placencia

I'm travelling to Belize at the end of January and beginning of February. I'm spending the first half of my trip inland then I want to spend the second half on the beach.

I was wondering what area is best? Placencia, Ambergris Caye, or Caye Culker or somewhere else?

Also, withen the best place, if anyone has advice on good accomodations. Thanks for the help.

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris or Placencia

Danielle

The beach/islands really depends on what you want to do when you are their and your personality.

Placencia is great if you want a quiet village beach town - you can get there on the local bus. I loved staying a Julia's Room's as its right on the beach super clean - good prices. There are a few bars and resturants and tour operators. You can fly into the Int'l airport form Dangriga or take the bus into BZ City and then a taxi to the airport. You can go to Cockscomb Basin for jungel hiking ... see some of southern Belize .. if you end up near Placencia.

Caye Culker is very relaxed good for the backpacker style. Great snorkeling, resturants. You can stay at most hotels for a range of reasonable prices. There is a Tina's backpackers hostel but its is always super busy. Mara's Place is right across from the "Split "very reasonable rates$20-40 US. Lots of tour operators for snorkeling and scuba diving. You can take the water taxi in and off the island - or fly out to the intl' airport ( which is worth the $)!

Ambergris (San Pedro) is a great island -though much more touristy. But there are quite a few reasonable hotel rates. Ruby's Hotel is great for budget. You can do any water tour you'd like (same as Caye Culker) San Pedro is a bit more expensive - and a totally different feel than Caye Culker. Good night life -

You can usually walk around the Cayes and find a place to stay. Just depends on the time your in town. And what you want to spend.

Hope that helps!

Happy Traveling

TB

2. Re: Ambergris or Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 26, 2009