We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Maya Reef Resort

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Maya Reef Resort

We are 2 couples going to Belize for the first time in January. We will be staying at the Costa Maya Reef Resort. I read the reviews here, but all except 1 seemed pretty old. Any updated reviews? We would like a little nightlife ( nothing crazy!) and restaurants. Any suggestions?

Arlington, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

I just returned from Ambergris, and we took a tour of Costa Maya. The resort is nice with restaurant and bar. It is a bit far north on the Island though. You will have to catch a boat to get back to San Pedro area for more nightlife. But, the water taxis are not too expensive and it is only a few minutes ride...maybe 10-15 mins.

san diego
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

kjvicki

Have come back from Costa Maya Reef Resort? Iam thinking of going there and would be interested if you would go back after being there? What are good and back parts?

thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Seakers- we loved it! We had unit 1A, top floor, 2 bedroom end unit. Awesome, peaceful. Try to get the second floor, better view.

Liked: Quiet, fairly remote, great staff, ability to cook a meal, beautiful view of the water, kayaks to take out, right opposite Mexico Rocks for snorkeling ( we kayaked out), good exercise walking north or south along beach every morning, good food at restaurant with generous portions, clean room and property, Eddie the bartender is a sweetheart, pool table, adorable pelican that comes to sit at the end of the dock- have your camera with you, front desk will make local calls for you, a/c and ceiling fans, nice breezes, iguanas on walkways, pretty birds on deck and trees, shaded beach areas, fishing off end of dock,

Disliked: the hotel did not offer enough complimentary shuttles into town- the times they offered, most things in town were closed!, tiny ants in bathroom and around unit- but not a real problem, make sure you do not leave food out or on counters.

Hihgly suggest a trip to see the manatees with Oliver and Ernesto at www.caribeantoursbelize.com

Tell them Karen and Adrian sent you!

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
843 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Karen and Adrian - glad to hear you had a good experience at Costa Maya. We will have a 2 bedroom unit in August so I will email ahead and ask if we can have the same unit. Now, just a few questions:

Where do you recommend we get groceries?

Were there other restaurants within walking or biking distance?

What nearby restaurants could you recommend and how did you get to them?

Did you rent golf carts? How far could you go with them?

Thanks for your post and hopefully you will be able to answer some of these questions. TIA

Carole

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Hello carole- Unit 3A was nice, too. Also a 2 bedroom. I think unit 2A was a one bedroom, next hut from us. Any of those would be good. Units 7,8 are behind the bar/restaurant- not as good a view. Unit 10 looked good, too, on the other end.

Where do you recommend we get groceries?

---We ordered ahead of time from www.lagniappe-belize.com, and had the owner, Simon, deliver it to the dock when we arrived, so it went over to Costa Maya Reef resort with us! Otherwise, there is a gocery store right near the dock where you get the boat to the resort. Ask your taxi driver to take you there.------------

Were there other restaurants within walking or biking distance?

What nearby restaurants could you recommend and how did you get to them?

---------We walked 10-15 minute south to the Portofino restaurant. Good food, but TINY portions. We all had to eat 3-5 rolls to even BEGIN to feel like we had eaten dinner. I do not recommend it! We did a manatee tour, and even those guys stopped bringing clients to Portofino because everyone complained of the small portions. We all ended up giving the place a new name-"TINYFINO"!!!

We met someone who went down to the Rojo Restaurant and said it was good. In town, we ate at Casa Picasa. It was difficult to get to ( it was muddy and flooded roads), and the food was good. But not as good as we anticipated from the reviews! We ate at the Costa Maya Reef resort, and found that to be the biggest portions and good!-----------

Did you rent golf carts? How far could you go with them?

-----You can not travel from the Costa maya Reef Resort on golf carts. You would have to rent them in San Pedro, or if you were staying closer to the town.----------------

Thanks for your post and hopefully you will be able to answer some of these questions. TIA

Carole

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
843 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Thanks for you speedy reply! If there is anything else that you think we should know we'd appreciate it.

bend, or
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

KJVicki-

Thanks so much for your information. I am leaving next Friday and I cant wait.

About the grocerie thing....you order online and then they delivered it? Did they deliver to the dock at Costa Maya? Thanks so much!

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Sonyac- they deliver in town if the order is U.S. $100 or more, and to the Costa Maya if it is U.S.$200 or more. There is a fee. go to their website for the details.

Additional info- do a day trip with www.caribeantoursbelize.com

Oliver and Ernesto are a lot of fun, provide a great meal, and can take you snorkeling, fishing, or to see the manatees. Try to go for a calm day, as the wind or rain will make the trip not as pleasant, of course, as a sunny day!

bend, or
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

Thank you so much for the helpful information!

Do you remember is there was salt, pepper,sugar, oil, etc. in the rooms? We plan on going to the grocery store and I wasnt sure if I needed to get those things.

Thanks so much!

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort

No there was not. Throw some salt, pepper, sugar in ziplocks and throw them in your luggage! Smallest oil was 16 or 24 oz., I think!