We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

Brooklyn
5 posts
Save Topic
From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

My wife and I will be staying on Ambergris Caye 7-13 October, and we're wondering about ease and cost of travel from the Caye to Maya Ruins in the interior. I understand that Lamanai is a reasonable day trip. What about Xunantunich? Caracol? Or even Tikal (which I realize would require going to Guatemala). How would one travel from Ambergris Caye to some of these more distant sites, and how expensive would it be? Finally, is it possible for us to go to Belize CIty and just rent a car and drive to, say, Xunantunich?

Thanks.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

I've never done it, but I don't think it would be all that difficult to either fly to Belize City or take the first water taxi and then drive to Xunantunich. Caracol is further. I'd fly to Flores and go to Tikal from there. I think there are also charter tours which take you to Tikal from San Pedro.

We've done the day trip to Lamanai. Great fun. I recommend Tanisha Tours.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

Lamanai and Altun Ha tours from Ambergris almost daily. I like Tanisha Tours. Xunantunich-fly to the mainland, rent a car and drive 2 hrs to the site. Caracol is too far. Tropic Air offers day trips to Tikal.

Belize
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

It's not very far and the roads not that bad. Renting car is great but the cost in Belize, well it a bit pricey, plus u might miss a lot if your busy keeping your eyes on the road. The ruins, most of them are pretty easy to get to, there are direct roads (sometimes a bit ruff) But there are dozens of tours that g to each ruin everyday, and most of them leave from Belize City. I used this website last month when i visited Belize. I hope it helps you too.

www.mybelizeadventure.com

Belize
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

It's not very far and the roads not that bad. Renting car is great but the cost in Belize, well it a bit pricey, plus u might miss a lot if your busy keeping your eyes on the road. The ruins, most of them are pretty easy to get to, there are direct roads (sometimes a bit ruff) But there are dozens of tours that g to each ruin everyday, and most of them leave from Belize City. I used this website last month when i visited Belize. I hope it helps you too.

www.mybelizeadventure.com

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
108 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

We went to Tikal from San Ignacio as a day trip. San Ignacio is a good base for Mayan ruins. Also, some of the Mayan artifacts are in the local caves (some with rivers, some dry) which is fascinating.

We travelled with Slickrock (see www.slickrock.com), both land side and out at Glovers Reef. They do a good job of arranging transport and lodging and meals.

6. Re: From Ambergris Caye to Maya Ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, August 26, 2009