We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUST eat suggestions?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
MUST eat suggestions?

Okay, I'm posting a lot. Can you tell I'm ready to be on vacation?

We are coming to AC, blah blah, 10 days, blah blah, food is good, blah blah.

Truthfully, though, we're BIG foodies. Eating is always one of the highlights of every trip we take. We also live in Chicago. That's not to brag (I mean, it's like a frozen hell right now); it's just to say that we eat good food/fine dining/fancy schmancy stuff quite a bit.

So, in AC, we'd really like to focus on casual, local cuisine. If there are a couple FANTASTIC nicer places that would offer something very different than what we'd get in Chicago, we could add those to the list, too. But basically, I'd be very happy to never have to put on real shoes all week.

We are staying at the Phoenix, and we are certainly interested in things within walking distance to us, but I'll travel just about anywhere on the island for a good meal.

That said, what are the can't miss restaurants, food carts, bars, and specific dishes?

Thanks in advance!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

Pan Dulce is just a few minutes walk, right in the centre of town. Be warned, some pastries include both jalapenos and sugar. It isn't a combination that everyone likes, but certainly worth trying if you want to experience local cuisine. I quite like their snacks.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

Pupusas are sold at Waraguma and La Pupuseria, right across the street from each other on Middle Street. As far as I know, they're only available evening hours. Overall, I prefer the food at La Pupuseria, but, my husband prefers Waraguma. So, we alternate...

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
493 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

Best breakfast in San Pedro is Estelle's by the Sea. You can not go wrong there. For a good evening meal El Fogons is a must.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

Although Ive had good evening meals at El Fogon, the menu is pretty 'tourist' oriented. I think it's strength is in its lunch menu, which is a much more Belizean approach to food. Occasionally they serve gibnut, last time I was by they had stewed pig tail. As an aside, they also have excellent conch fritters.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
493 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

The conch fritters is exactly why I suggested it, Very good!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

So far--

La Pupuseria: LOVED

Estel's: Liked

Caliente: Kinda Liked

Warguma: Liked

El Fogon: LOVED

Palapa Bar: Liked

The Baker: LOVED

Will keep y'all posted. :)

17. Re: MUST eat suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye