We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading north for the day--how and where?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
439 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Heading north for the day--how and where?

As I've mentioned in previous posts, my family and I will be coming to AC for the first time next week, staying for 10 days at the Phoenix.

While we are happy to be near town, we do want to experience and see the "different" side of the island and the beautiful beaches that the north side of the island offers.

So, here's my question: if the four of us want to head north for part of a day and eat lunch at one of the resorts and lounge on a gorgeous beach, where should we go and what would be the easiest way to get there?

Side question: if we rent a golf cart, is it safe/reasonable to take it to the north side of the island? How far of a trip would that be?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

My neighbors just spent a few nights up north at X'tan Ha. It sounds lovely. You can get there via water taxi.

It's certainly safe to take a golf cart north. However, after a mile or two, the 'road' gets really bad, especially if we've had any rain. I wouldn't try and get to X'tan Ha with one, although it might be possible. Most rental companies don't allow their carts that far north.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

Robles or Bacalar Chico snorkel trip day trips or Tranquility resort with restaurant and bar and walk in snoreling

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
122 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

The Palapa Bar is always fun, also Aji has a nice restaurant right on the beach. Stop at Coco Beach for a beverage and a swim in their pools. These you can reach via golf cart. If you have room in your suitcase for a few small items, check out Holy Cross School on the internet. Look for their wish list. You drive right by the school as soon as you cross the bridge.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

One of my favourite things to do with my own guests is to take the boat up north to one of the many excellent resorts, have lunch and then walk back to town along the beach stopping to drink and snack at different places along the way. There really are a lot of options. Plan for how far you think you can walk and take the boat that far. We often start our journey at Matachica. If you are super hungry, check out the Lazy Croc, just next to Grand Caribe for huge and delicious portions. You'll also get to see some of our local crocodiles in the wild there.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

Lazy Croc a great option for a nice Slow Smoked Barbecue lunch. They do breakfast too.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g291962-d3…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

X'tan Ha has a beautiful beach!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
439 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

Is X'tan Ha open to the public? If so, what would be the easiest way to get there and get back?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

Unless something has changed since we were there, people from other hotels came to the X'tan Ha beach during our stay. I think a water taxi would probably be the easiest way to get there from the San Pedro area.

9. Re: Heading north for the day--how and where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 14, 2015