We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Weather

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
64 posts
65 reviews
81 helpful votes
December Weather

We spent 10 days over the Christmas holidays in Belize this past year. We split our time between the Cayo and Ambergris Caye, and had a wonderful time! However, we were very surprised at how rainy and overcast it was the entire time we were there. We were told that was unusual for that time of year as December is usually the start of the dry season. This was truly the first vacation we've taken where it rained every single day. While it didn't affect our ability to find adventure and have a good time, it certainly kept us from doing many activities we had planned. Our fishing guide told us that it always rains over New Years. So I guess I'm wondering, what is the weather really like between Christmas and New Years on Ambergris Caye? We are rebooking for Christmas 2014 but haven't pulled the trigger on airfare because of hesitation due to the rainy/cool weather. On a side note, we traveled there in June 2011 and the weather was amazing even though that's supposed to be during the rainy season. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
971 posts
75 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: December Weather

No easy answers really. We did have an incredibly rainy few months and it was quite unusual. Fortunately the weather is simply gorgeous right now. In the tropics, weather can be very unpredictable. I've been here for many Christmases that have been beautiful. It's luck of the draw I'm afraid. So glad you're coming back though!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
2. Re: December Weather

You were just unlucky.

If you look at any historical climate data, you'll see that there's always some rain in December, (I wouldn't call it the dry season, your fishing guide is correct). Rain often comes with the cold fronts that move in from the north about every 10 to 14 days.

BUT, with rainfall, some years are above average and some years are below average. 2013 was an above average year, and not just December. In Belize, above average rainfall was reported for every month from June to December. That is not typical. Some people might blame global warming/climate change, but that conclusion can't be made based on one season. I'd say it's just an above average season.

I don't think I've ever experienced a December when there was no rain, but there have been Decembers when we've had very little rain. But it always seems to be cold at that time of year -- maybe not for you, but I usually have to put a blanket on the bed, and for one or two days, I wear long pants!!

For better weather, come in February when the dry season really starts and the days are warm to hot and the nights are still pleasant enough to sleep without an a/c.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
278 reviews
226 helpful votes
3. Re: December Weather

December has been wetter than usual the last 2 years. Hopefully it's not a trend, but Global Weirding seems to have made the rainy season last a little longer. C'est la Vie. I like that around Christmas, it gets cooler now than a decade or so ago.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
4. Re: December Weather

Jones4Traveling,

If you're still reading replies, I have to disagree with #3.

I have detected no noticeable trend in the climate getting cooler or warmer in December. The coldest day I ever experienced in Belize was in 2007 when I went out for lunch wearing 3 shirts, a sweater and jeans, and was still cold. The temperature at mid-day was around 60 degrees F.

Last year (January 2013), I was using a fan at night when I slept! That's the first time I've ever used a fan at night in "winter". So, a general trend of cooling -- not where I live in Belize.

So far this year, the weather has been pretty much average -- hot days, cool nights, any rain has not been significant.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
5. Re: December Weather

Love your informative posts on her Mr. B but I think I may have to concur with Dr. Feel awesome on this one. This year the rain was just overwhelming and the cold we had really stuck out to me in comaprison to the other years I have experienced here in Belize. It does seem that the weather is getting colder and wetter in the December/ January months as oppose to a few years ago. Not sure we can make a prediction and say this is how it will be in Belize every year however this year has surely stamped as recodrd breaking in my book. In any event to be informative to our questioner, no way to predict but be prepared for rain if the last few years is any idea of what the December future holds :) All in all Belize is beautiful, rain, dry, cold or hot!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
6. Re: December Weather

All I can say is one season does not make a trend, and no temperature records were broken where I live.

Were you here last year? That was the warmest winter I've ever experienced here -- never wore a long-sleeved shirt or long pants all year.

I do not consider this "winter" to be significantly colder than most previous winters going back more than 10 years. Actually, it was fairly typical.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
64 posts
65 reviews
81 helpful votes
7. Re: December Weather

Thank you all for responding and sharing some of your insights. I realize my question cannot possibly be answered "correctly" but was just looking for a general opinion which you have all offered. It's just that we travel so much every year and this was a first for us, to have such a rainy vacation. The cooler temps didn't bother us per say, but when we were caught out in the rain and got drenched, those comfortable temps made us very cold. Especially my two kids. We heard from some people there that this was very unusual, but then others said that there was usually rain that time of year.

We are experiencing one of the coldest and snowiest winters in Indiana where we live. So right about now, I am dreaming of tropical weather. We already booked our lodging in Belize for Christmas 2014 but like I mentioned, I was getting a little gun shy about purchasing the airfare because of questions relating to the weather in December. Thank you again for your feedback.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: December Weather

Weather in Belize over Xmas is always warmer and more suited for outdoors than is Indiana the same dates, no matter if its sunny or raining in Belize!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
64 posts
65 reviews
81 helpful votes
9. Re: December Weather

Very true! That's why the cooler Belize temperatures didn't bother me so much :) When it is minus 17F, going to 60 degree weather is heavenly!

Edited: 8:24 am, February 24, 2014
10. Re: December Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 26, 2015