We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

Hamden, Ct
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

We are staying at Xanadu 12/27 - 1/5 and was wondering is it better cost wise to get excursions; cave tubing, zip lining, etc. from resort or book through private parties? Thx

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

I would guess you could get a better deal on your own, but, all you can do is ask. It might be that the tour company absorbs the commission that they pay the resort for using them.

In past years, Seaduced has offered a 'free' snorkel trip if you book a couple of all day tours with them. I have no idea if they still do that.

Many tour company offices along the beach and in town. Do some on line research and see which sound good.

Or just go with who Xanadu uses. May not be worth the hassle to look around if your stay is short.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

Most resorts working with their chosen tour companie(s) do not charge extra for tours, although the odd one might.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

The answer all depends on what your resort charges vs private tours, they are all different. Do some research, see what's included, i.e., lunch, transport (there are some private tours that don't provide transport to BZ if you're doing inland tours, so you have to calculate that in addition), or if it's half or full day. I compared the resort cost where we will be staying for their tours vs private ones online and it was 2-3 times more expensive on most tours to go with the resort tour prices. I also compared private companies reviews to make sure I wasn't comapring with a company with a bad repuatation, you do get what you pay for in some situations. Good luck!

4. Re: Excursions from resort versus from private companies cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 18, 2014