We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roatan vs.amergris caye

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
roatan vs.amergris caye

Anybody spent a fair amount of time in both Roatan and Amergris Caye? We are looking to winter for 2-6 months in Latin America. Just got back from Roatan and loved it and now plan to visit AC next. Somebody certainly has spent time time in both. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

Not really an equitable comparison.

Ive lived in Belize and sailed all the Bay Islands. Have spent all total about several months on Roatan.

Roatan is a much larger and much more diverse island. You can find a diverse range of venues on Roatan from almost purely tourist locations like West Bay to more local and off the beaten path places as you move east. The "East End", in areas like Port Royal is nothing like the West End. This is one of the things I like about Roatan.

Tourism on Ambergris is effectivley limited to San Pedro town. Although you can move a bit out of town for accomodations in less densely developed areas. West End/West Bay is probably the most similar to San Pedro, but to me San Pedro is less laid back. Personally Ambergris is not one of my favorite places, too developed and touristy for me, but I am certainly in the minority. You can of course make day trips off of Ambergris to mix it up a bit.

Where did you stay and what did you like about Roatan? The answer may help

Edited: 11:48 pm, December 07, 2013
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

...determine what other Central American venues you may like for an extended stay.

Edited: 11:53 pm, December 07, 2013
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

If you are into water activities like diving or snorkeling or ocean swimming, Roatan is way better and way easier. Roatan is also a lot prettier. No one ever accused Ambergris of being the least bit pretty. they are about the same cost-wise. Also I find West End Roatan a lot more charming than San Pedro. I think that Caye Caulker makes up for a lot of what Ambergris lacks, so be sure to see that too.

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

Thanks to all of you. We stayed in West End and made it to West Bay for short excursion, but felt West End was definitely where would spend our 8 days. We will explore the island upon returning and the above info is perfect for giving my wife a better feel about other places in the region. Thanks!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

As suggested you might also check out Caye Caulker. It has grown a lot over the years but has made a deliberate effort to maintain its funky little island village feel. I prefer it to Ambergris, but the two islands are close together and you can visit one from the other on an easy day trip.

Also look into Placencia, Belize. Another place which has grown but maintained a healthy dose of its character.

I like the other Bay Islands as well. Worth investigating.

6. Re: roatan vs.amergris caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 10, 2014