We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye

Hello Everyone, Going to Belize for the first time in August to Ambergris Caye, we are renting a house, which I understand is about 3 1/2 miles south of town, is it easy to get about??? Does anyone know if there are any local restaurants or bars that are not just in San Pedro?

One more question: Which is the best way to get from Belize City to Ambergris Caye, the airfare seems expensive, but can't seem to find out much about ferries, plus will we need taxis to the port and how much will that cost from the airport.

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye

If I was staying that far south of town, I'd rent a golf cart for sure. Taxis would get to be a hassle, and biking in August would be pretty darn hot, especially away from the beach. Closest bar is probably BC's South, which is at Caribe Island Resort.

There are lots of bars and restaurants south of town, but most, if not all, are still going to be at least a mile from where you're staying.

We just pay the money and fly from the international airport to San Pedro. For about half the price, you can take a taxi (I think $25.00US per car load) to the municipal airport and fly from there. Or take the cab to the water taxi terminal and take the boat. It takes about 90 minutes. Some people love taking the boat, others think it takes too much time.

Have a great trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye

Thanks Jeanh

Dallas
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye

My family of four just returned from a 7 day vacation on AC. We stayed at The Palms which was in a perfect location! I had alot of the same questions you have and i was glad i asked.

The roads are terrible especially after it rains, you will want to rent a golf cart. Typically they run anywhere between 45-65.00 (USD) per day. You are fairly far from town, considering the road conditions and speed of golf carts. Most of the bars are in town, but you will want to hit FIDO's which is close to your location.

As for travel to AC from Belize City, the only way to do it is by air. We were very worried about the small planes but it was a better flight than on our American Air flight. It was a bit pricing (52.00 per x4) but it only took 15 minutes and the view was OUTSTANDING!

Hope this helps!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye

Thanks Drewn texas

5. Re: Ambergris Caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 15, 2009