We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Why is it none of the resorts rake the eel grass and take back the beaches for swimming? There is no place to swim or wade in that beautiful water. Why doesnt anyone spray for bug control? Why does Captain Morgans retreat drag their garbage out back and pile it up to rot and cause a bug haven? Belize has a lot of nice things but these are not some of them. If you plan to go expect to be eaten alive 24 hrs a day by mosquetos and sand fleas, cover all your meals to keep flys off, plan to swim in pools only and try not to be bothered by the garbage rotting in the sun and making not so pleasant smells.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Many of the resorts do rake the grass off of the beach. Every day. Most don't remove it from where it grows in the water because it's a nursery for myriads of small sea life.

The town does spray. Or, travel at a different time of year. I've gone months in the winter without a single mosquito bite.

As for the garbage, that is bad. No excuse for that.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

I agree no excuse for stinky garbage to close to a resort.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Most garbage comes from the sea via Mexico. I have travelled all around the carribean and the Mosquitos are no worse in Belize than anyone where else. Houndours, Grand Cayman, Dominca, Antiguia, etc... Are all way worse. Heck I was in Minnesota last weekend and the Mosquitos were 10X worse their than Belize. I was in Bahli and had to sleep in nets inside my hotel room--and cover myself in bug spry prior to getting into bed. I guess what I am getting at is it could be much worse.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Sea grass acts as an important nursery for fish. It's important to keep it if you want the reef fish population to be healthy.

Spraying for bugs means that many other living things die from eating poisoned insects. They are at the bottom of the food chain. Poisoned insects equals dead lizards, birds etc. not to mention the effect that the insecticides have on the Caribbean as they are washed out.

Garbage - It,s a problem... Tourists can lessen the impact by trying not to use disposable things while there. Always take a refillable water bottle.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

The Blue Tang Inn in particular does a great job of keeping the beach tidy for sunning and swimming. There is some grass but you also get to see lots of cool fish steps from the beach. Oh and we had 2 stingrays swimming around the dock every day!

Garbage is terrible and Belize needs to do more to clean up for sure. I could not believe how many styrofoam containers and plastic bottles were littered everywhere and were no where close to the water so definitely did not wash in on the currents

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

What you speak of has been done in other major resort countries around the Caribbean and keeping the tourist happy with no sea grass or mangroves or Mosquitos etc has had extreme detrimental effects on their natural environments. Belize is an up and coming tourism destination and thankfully hasn't bought into this trend of tourism over protection of its natural resources. Mosquitos...in an area called the "Mosquito Coast" is...well...a natural occurance. Most of Belize has been created by mangroves. It's basically a swampy area that mangrove trees have helped to turn into semi-land and guess what this type of environment breeds??? The spraying of chemicals to control Mosquitos is quite a hit and miss kind of thing. Unless you are every other creature that lives in the natural environment you are spraying . Spraying kills all of natures mosquito predators at the same time. While you may see a small immediate drop in the mosquito population you might not see the long term detrimental effects of the drop in natural predators. Not to mention the effects that the local human population is getting from being sprayed daily by insecticide.

Sea grass is again a natural occurance as described above and in many other destinations it has been dredged out of their environment. These destinations like the Cayman Islands also have to import sand from places like Hawaii to rebuild their beaches because of the loss of this island building sea grass. The "split" on Caye Caulker is a fine example of what happens when mangroves and sea grass are un-naturally removed from a mangrove island. There is simply nothing to stop the sea from moving the sand anywhere it chooses. These islands exist because of mangroves and sea grass...and without them...well...you get my point. The garbage you see along the "non resort" parts of the cayes partially originate in Belize but also come from other countries via ocean currents. Anyone who has ever bought a plastic "anything" is adding to this and must take at least partial blame for adding these non-biodegradable substances to the planets Eco system. If a person hated seeing plastic bottles on a beach while on vacation...that had purchased 30 plastic bottles WHILE on vacation...should look to themselves as to where all these plastic bottles come from. Look up "the great pacific gyre" on google to see exactly what I'm speaking of.

The same reason you didn't stop to clean the garbage you speak of on the beaches between resorts...is the same reason no one else does...it's not their beach. Every few months there is a sponsored beach cleanup that many residents try to help out with but these could happen daily and still you would see garbage. I guess my point is to ask yourself when was the last time you grabbed a rake and cleaned up the city you live in.

Yes...you are right...Belize isn't mosquito free...it isn't sea grass free...it isn't garbage free...it isn't Disneyland's version of what a country like Belize is "made" to be for tourists...all spruced up and artificially "tourist friendly." It is however the closest destination to its original self. In all of its natural and man made caused glory. It's exactly what all other destinations look like away from the resorts. There are improvements every day in trying to solve these problems...and we residents get that we need to try harder...but in a third world country...who's population is less than 300000 people...you must understand that these solutions are slow to come...and expensive. Putting your garbage outside in a large city for collection results in it disappearing magically by the end of the day...in a country like Belize...it doesn't...that magic takes a huge amount of tax dollars to happen...and we simply don't have the million people paying taxes it takes to "let the magic happen!!" At least not yet...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Tranquility Bay employees rake the sea grass by the beach 4 times a day. But they leave the grass in the bay, because without it and the coral, there would not be the beautiful tropical fish to see within yards of the resort. Our experience with Belize was eco-friendly and unforgettable. We will definitely be back, both for the jungle experience and the snorkeling. Many thanks to all the Belize experts here on Trip Advisor who made such a difference in educating us about Belize before we left.

Edited: 9:14 pm, July 27, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Your review is making me feel sick that we just booked 10 days in Ambergris Caye. What do you mean you can't swim? R the bugs bad 24/7 or just at dusk etc.? Im worried now. I am an ocean person, not pool.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

Most ocean swimming on Ambergris is done off the docks. In most areas, the water close to shore is very shallow and there is sea grass growing. It's not ugly, the water is clear, and you can see all the creatures that live there as you stroll along the beach.

There are a few exceptions. There's a swimmable beach just south of downtown at Ramon's. Also, further south at Banyan Bay. Not sure where there's decent swimming on north Ambergris, since I'm rarely there.

Mosquitoes are dependent on how much it's been raining. They also seem to be worse the further from town that you get. When are you traveling? We spend the winters on Ambergris and haven't had issues with either mosquitoes or sand flies. Not to say we don't get bit some, but, pretty much a non-issue. Many of the beach bars have cans of Off available if the bugs start to bite.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs, Garbage and sea grass

We are travelling nov 14 - 25 staying at the Belizian Shores. Thanks