We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Central Russia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Hi, I recently had some sd cards stolen from my checked luggage on a united flight from BZE to IAH (Houston) 5/12. Has anyone recently heard of any problems with items being stolen on such route? The cards are essentially worthless to whomever stole them, but have old pics that I don't have backed up and actually mean something to me. I just wouldn't have thought that someone would actually steal the stupid sd cards. I am sure they are long gone, but just curious if anyone else has had any problems.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Darn - sentimental IS valuable. Another example of why it's better to either travel carry on only or to put nothing you're unwilling to lose in checked bags. :-(

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Yes! But I flew through United. Quickly make your claim (via phone) and submit your claim forms with receipts. After 7 weeks I received a check from United for $1,200.00 for the missing laptop and watch. (helped that I had all the receipts)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Thanks for the update! I'm still mainly going to travel carry on only and keep valuables with me when I check, though. ;-)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,050 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

"...I'm missing a laptop and my bf is missing his sports watch.

Pretty pissed and now dealing with the idiots from United (they of course don't want to do anything!)..."

And you are blaming the airline for this.? Who puts these things in checked luggage? I think you are pointing your comments to the wrong party.

Guys, stop blaming the airlines for stuff missing in your luggage. The only time that an airline employee touches your luggage is when they put the tag on it.

Palm Beach, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

We just had necklace stolen out of our bag at Belize international yesterday. They tossed our bags, dumped makeup bags out and went thru my doc kit. luckily it was a $5 necklace and we had nothing of value in bag. Guess they never heard of cameras or to setup and catch the thieves.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

How do you know this happened at BZE? I'm not saying it didn't, just wondering how you can be sure it was there and not where you were coming from or heading to?

California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Sorry Buck. You learned a lesson the hard way but the good thing is that it was not a lesson regarding being mugged or hurt. I never ever never ever put any tech items or money into checked bags. Not even if flying in my home country. As for others having jewelery stolen? The best way to avoid this is to not bring any. Sometimes I will wear a plain gold wedding band but mostly I wear nothing other than a cheap pair of earrings or necklace that I end up giving away on my last day of the trip.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
969 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Wow that's bad news. I wonder how they did that at Goldson as the baggage rarely spends any time sitting around there. Sorry you had the experience though. We've had our bags opened and items stolen going through the USA a few times too and it's very upsetting.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Sorry to all that have experienced theft from their checked luggage business frankly, I very much doubt the thefts occurred on Belizean soil. Far more likely it occurred in the US. You've been to Belize so you know how the airport is set up there. Hardly an opportunity for someone slick handed and no time either. In Houston though, TSA, Multiple handlers, getting shifted from luggsge carts to conveyors and on and on. I'm often suspicious that some losses are a result of TSA going through bags and not getting everything put back in.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Baggage Theft - BZE to IAH 5/12/2013 - Items Stolen From Bag

Just arrived from Belize and I got my Iphone 5 charger stolen.

I had also a little bag with earrings that I found completely open but nothing got stolen since they were not valuable at all.

Not a big deal in my case but be careful with your valuable items. Even though I cannot say if this happened at Belize or Atlanta Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia