We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Going to be in Belize at the beginning of June. 3 nights in Cayo and then 3 nights on Ambergris Caye, staying at Sunbreeze hotel (Mostly for proximity to San Pedro and the nice pool -- heard beaches have sandflies). Anyone have any thoughts on that place?

We really want to fish one day while we're there and initially I thought no doubt deep sea fishing because we've done it in Mexico and Texas' southern gulf coast and always really really loved it. However, I'm now wondering if we should do "Reef" fishing. Seems to be all the rage here in Belize. Can someone give a breakdown of the what might make reef better vs deep sea or vice versa? Just really wanna make the right choice when spending the $$.

Also who are the best charters/guides for either?

Thank You So Much!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Sunbreeze is perfectly located and pretty nice. You will be happy there. As far as fishing goes I typically spend the morning trolling for big barracudas south and then head a little north for reef fishing. Reef fishing is amazing and you should have no problem catching a nice meal for you and whom ever. IMO the best guide is Pete Gernell (Lil Alfons dad).

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Can you share the contact info for Pete Gernell? We will be arriving AC on May 22nd. Staying at Oasis. Thank you.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

I'm guessing Auddy means Pete Graniel.

I found this link while searching for his name. I have no experience with any of these guides, my husband went out with Severo Guerrero and was quite pleased.

ambergriscaye.com/help/article-225.html

Escondido...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Captain Jerry is very experienced. He loves deep sea fishing. We will be down there beginning June 4th if you are interested in doing a trip with us.

Chad

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

Hi. Sorry to tag on but need to start researching. Hubby was looking at peacock bass fishing but the dates didn't work w our spring break.

He's heard about Bone Fishing in Belize.

Can anybody pls give some insight. Thx. M

6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing vs Reef Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 22, 2014