We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize or Jamaica??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Belize or Jamaica??

Hello All!

I am a female college student planning a solo trip this summer for about 2 weeks on a budget. Based on all my research I've narrowed it down to either Belize of Jamaica. Both are beautiful and are within my price range in terms of flight rates. The only problem is, I am having a hard time deciding on which one?!? I'll be staying at a hostel(s) and am interested in beautiful beaches, snorkeling, hiking, exploring, meeting new people, adventure, etc.

Any helpful advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

My personal body guard is on stress leave . So i would have to go with Belize. You just have to be a little more discreet. ::))

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

Belize is the destination for you. There are so many things to do--on the coast and within the country. Is climbing the Maya ruins comparable to hiking for you? Everyone is so friendly--the natives and your fellow tourists. You will meet many people from all over the world exploring and enjoying the scenery. And, everyone speaks English so it is easy to travel around.

Try to go in early July because it can be hot, rainy, and humid the later you go. I normally stay in San Ignacio, one of Belize's largest cities (population around 7,000). I pay $59 American per night at Martha's Guest House--very clean accommodations and very nice and trustworthy people. They feel like my second family. They also have a restaurant downstairs, but there are less expensive places to stay and restaurants to eat in than at Martha's if you need to go cheaper in San Ignacio.

I could go on and on. It's a wonderful country. If you want to buy a guidebook, the best one is the Rough Guide to Belize and Guatemala. It will tell you everything you need to know. I met the author on my first trip to Belize and we became good friends.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

My wife and I love San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Small town with lots of good places to eat. We've stayed seven miles north and a mile south of town. Really enjoyed being close to town. There are some stunning beaches on the east side of Ambergris Caye accessible by boat with one of the smaller tour operators but you can get some nice beaches south of San Pedro. Lots of good places to suntan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

Safety wise San Pedro Belize would be my pick although you should always be careful regardless. Snorkeling is nice from a kayak but don't expect much from the beaches. They are San Pedro's dirty little secret and I mean dirty. Taking a walk on the coast especially towards the North side the beaches are filled with trash and nothing is done to clean them up. All the travel sites don't mention this because they want the tourist dollars to flow in.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

sadly this is the modern world. i have lived in the caribbean for the last 7 years, there is no such thing as a naturally clean beach, just beaches that get cleaned (usually at 4am while you sleep, i.e.. at a resort) and beaches that don't get cleaned.

every single piece of plastic that has been manufactured in the last 90 years still exists and much of it is floating in the sea until it washes up on a beach.

16. Re: Belize or Jamaica??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 28, 2014