We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wet suit

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
wet suit

Can you tell me if it is common to use a shorty wet suit when scuba diving? We have rash guards that we have used snorkelling and wonder if that would be good enough. The last trip to Cayman several years ago, I didn't use a wet suit. Thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wet suit

The water temperature is the same as the Caymans so you can just wear a dive skin.

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wet suit

Depends on how easily you get chilled & how deep you dive. Some days, some folks use wetsuits. Also, a wetsuit (or jacket) can feel pretty darn good riding in a fast boat after coming out of the water on a cooler day.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wet suit

down here now, I'm having no issues without a wetsuit. warm and sunny today.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wet suit

Dove last weekend and no one had a wetsuite on.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wet suit

There is so much churn in the water due to tide and currents there is virtually no noticeable thermocline between the surface and 100 feet. At the Barrier Reef by San Pedro I dived to 100 feet without a wetsuit and was comfortable and not hypothermic.

Enjoy your diving.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wet suit

wet and rainy here yesterday. water felt warm without a wet suit, but in the boat it felt cool. stripped off the dive skins and used towels for a wind break to keep warm

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wet suit

Thank you all. Getting my son reigistered for his PADI cert this weekend.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wet suit

Doug - everyone is different. Kids get cold easier as they normally have less to keep them warm. My son dives in 80+ degree water and wears a full 5mm wetsuit and sometimes a hood as he has no bodyfat.. IMO it is always better to be warm when diving then cold. It is easy to add a little water to the wetsuit to cool down Wetsuits also add a nice layer of protection.. You will learn more about his temperature range when he gets certified.

B.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wet suit

That's a very good point. My son has pretty much no body fat. Me on the other hand ...

Missouri
Level Contributor
19 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wet suit

If you don't need a wetsuit in Mexico you won't in Belize. I always take one because I am always cold my son never dives with anymore than his dive skins. Not much temp change 95 ft.

Enjoy!