We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation

There will be 6 of us traveling to Ambergris Caye. I am trying to find the best way to get to Ambergris Caye and can't decide between private water taxi, regular or fly. Does the regular water taxi have room for large suitcases and is it covered for the suitcases. Also, we will be coming on Dec 26 and return on the 30th.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

We've always flown. There's only been two of us, so we just fly straight from BZE to Ambergris.

With six, you could take a cab (it might take two) to the Municipal airstrip and fly from there. You'd save a considerable amount of money, even after paying the cab.

The water taxi will have your bags covered, and, yes, there is room for large suitcases. I just think they're uncomfortable, and after a long day of travel 75-90 minutes on a relatively uncomfortable boat isn't how I want to start my vacation.

And, I love that 15 minute flight to Ambergris. It's fun and beautiful.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

The water taxis store luggage in the hold, so it will stay dry even if rain comes in at an angle, which is very rare. Every one I've been on has always been covered.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation

The view flying is worth it.

I agree with Jean 75-90 minutes boat travel after a long day of travel is a lot.

Level Contributor
7,627 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation

Above responses cover the choices; however noting your dates you may want to reserve something immediately. Judging from hotel availability together with domestic travel day after Christmas it is sure to be a very busy day.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation

The good thing about domestic air travel is, if you make a reservation on Tropic to get to Ambergris, they'll keep adding planes/flights so that everyone with a reservation will make it.

Torrington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation

We took a private taxi boat and it was a blast. We had a large group so it was worth it, otherwise I would recommend flying.

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation

Just got back and have to say, the 15 minute flight was totally worth the money.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation

forget the boat trip, fly over in 20 minutes!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation

If you plan to fly Tropic Website will not allow you to book with 72h [I think it is} of when you want to depart so cannot be to last minute with them.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I have reserved a flight for us and am looking forward to it after all the great reviews of flying.