We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi evening schedule?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Water taxi evening schedule?

Hi everyone, thanks again for your replies to my earlier question! :-)

Had a slight change of heart and think we're now more likely to head to Ambergris for the "beach" part of our honeymoon. We really like the look of the Matachica Resort - being able to kayak out to the reef looks fantastic!

However, one of our reasons for choosing Ambergris over Placencia was to have a bit more choice for restaurants, bars etc so I wanted to check about the water taxi or ferry. I understand Matachica is further north with no land access back to San Pedro (Is that right?) so the only route is by water.

Looking at the coastal express website (http://www.coastalxpress.com/index.html) the service looks pretty good; scheduled services returning from SP until 2330 in the evening and later on Weds, Fri and Sat. However, I did just want to check - sometimes there's a difference between websites and reality "on the ground" (or water, in this case!) - can anyone confirm the water taxi actually does run that late?

I'm also not quite clear on how it works with water taxi services as opposed to the scheduled service. Are there several boats running, one as a scheduled ferry and the others for private taxi service? Is the private taxi service available later than the scheduled ferry?

Final question was just about the weekly pass; previous threads on here suggest it's priced at ~$45-50, which seems good value. Can anyone just confirm the cost for that though? And I assume that just covers travel on the scheduled service, not the taxi?

Many thanks for any replies! :-)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi evening schedule?

I'm no expert on the water taxis, since I live close enough to town to walk when I'm on the island.

I do know that it does run at night, at the published times, although those times may be different than what is on the website.

I"m not sure about private services. The entire enterprise seems to be called a 'water taxi', even though it runs on its schedule, not at the 'beck and call' of its customers.

There are private services, but, I know nothing about them.

Last year I checked the cost of a weekly pass for a person who was considering staying at Las Terrazas. The cost then was about US$42.00. Gas has gotten more expensive, and Las Terrazas is a couple miles south of Mata Chica.

You don't have to stay that far north to be able to kayak to the reef and snorkel. I'm a mile south of town, and my neighbors kayak to the reef at least once a week, as do some of the other guests. A bit further, but, doable.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi evening schedule?

ambergriscaye.com/download/ferryschedule.html

here is the other service

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi evening schedule?

Please note from that link Island Ferry is no longer.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi evening schedule?

what? it no longer operates?

5. Re: Water taxi evening schedule?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 09, 2012