We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to ruins

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visit to ruins

I am going to be on Ambergris Caye for 2 weeks in Feb...we have heard of a river trip (not on the Caye) which takes you into the jungle and visits to the ruins...cannot find this particular jaunt...anyone heard of it?

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to ruins

It's probably the Altun Ha Maya Ruin trip that goes through the river which runs through the village of Bomba in the Orange Walk District. SEAduced by Belize does the trip, although I am pretty sure there are other operators that also do it but I am not familiar with them.

Saludos,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

www.auxilloubeachsuites.com

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to ruins

Tanisha Tours on Ambergris offers both Altun Ha and the Lamanai trip, which I prefer over Altun Ha for the wildlife, scenery, jungle and the site itself. Both are well worth doing.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: visit to ruins

Oops! That's right! Silly me. I forgot about Lamanai and the New River trip. Thanks for the reminder Kathy.

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

www.auxilloubeachsuites.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visit to ruins

We took the Lamanai trip with Tanisha Tours last year and it was great. Beautiful boat trip through the mangroves up the river. The guides point out plants and wildlife along the way and Daniel was an excellent guide at Lamanai. The view from the top of the temple is amazing - bring a camera!