We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

St. Louis
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?

Hello - we are planning our honeymoon in mid-May of '06. We have read lots and lots of reviews on Trip Advisor about the Ambergis Caye area and are concerned about all of the negative comments about mosquitos. Does anyone know if they are really that bad in May? One of the comments even compared them to the funny commercial on TV for Expedia where they are being attacked by killer mosquitos. Should we consider a different venue? Any ideas? We are not interested in fighting bugs while we are trying to enjoy this special time. Thanks for your suggestions.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?

May is dry season, so no rain and no water for mosquitos to hatch in.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?

The sand fleas got me worse than the mosquitos, but my friend wasn't bothered at all by either last week. If you want a quieter honeymoon consider the smaller island of Caye Caulker. There are no cars and less noisy tourists! Very relaxing!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?

We were in Belize this past May, I don't recall any mosquitos at all on Ambergris Caye. I was surprised to see that they were spraying for them in San Ignacio. We were also there last week and my husband got bit by sand fleas, but he kept forgetting to use any bug spray. I certainly wouldn't worry about the mosquitos.

College Station...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos?

May is a miserable month in Belize. Hotter'n Hell. Absolutely stifling. And sand fleas. Get married in November or December if you want to honeymoon in Belize. Also May is lobster mating season, so by law none sold or served. Go in November and enjoy a two tail dinner for $10.

College Station...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos?

May is a miserable month in Belize, and a mistake I'll never make again. Hotter'n hell, brutal, stifling. The sand fleas are horrible in May, not a whisper of a breeze. Also by law no lobster is sold or served (mating season). Get married in November or December if you want to honeymoon in Belize.

Cambridge, MA
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos?

What about mid-April.

That hot? Is it lobster season then, as well?