We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

California
1 post
Save Topic
Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

We just booked a 14 night stay on the island and have no idea if we should add a rental car or not?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

It ben 2 or 3 years since we were there, but there were very few cars on the island at all. People got around primarily by golf cart -- which worked really well.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

There are no car rentals on Ambergris Caye. You couldn't bring one from the mainland if you tried.

Where are you staying? If you're far from town and plan on spending a lot of time in town, you might want to rent a golf cart. There are cabs available, and bicycles to rent. Also water taxis if you're north of the 'cut'.

Depending on where you're staying I'd wait until I arrived and see how far the walk is. If you're way far north, the path is pretty rough, taking a water taxi would be far easier.

Georgia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

Golf carts are the transportation for the island as it's white sand. Bikes are available for rent, but a golf cart is the way to go. Shop around if you have time...don't get caught in the tourist trap! I lived mainland for 10 years....so aks around as you can find good deals for 4-8 hours. Some parts of the island, far north require a boat trip so ask you hotel for information.

Georgia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

14 days is a long time so try for a weekly rate. Be sure to take advantage of all the activities off the island. Many mainland tours, snorkeling out on the glass bottom boat, all day snorkel trips, etc. Golf carts are the answer.

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

I have been to San Pedro 3 times. Last time was August 2004.

A Golf cart or bicycle is the way to get around on the island . I would highly recommend "JOES BIKES" and "CHOLO'S" for your Golf cart rental. Ask for a gasoline powered ride they are much more powereful and dependable than the electric golf carts. CHOLOS is located approx 1/2 mile south of the San Pedro airport and right across the street from the "Banana Beach" resort. Inquire at "Monkey Business" in Banana Beach and they will hook you up. JOES BIKES is located just north of the airport and has very reasonable rates.

I hope this was helpful !!!

P.S. Please stop by Captain OMAR'S Freelance fishing tours just on the northern end of the airport and tell him that "John from Boston" is looking forward to catching some more Tarpon with him sometime soon....I would really appreciate that !!!

Have a GREAT time !!!

John

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need a rental car when visiting Ambergris Caye?

Have lots more info on the island. Where are you staying ? Do you know about the Crocodiles ??? Dont worry....they are pretty friendly....from a distance anyways !!!

John