We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Hi there,

Planning a girls trip to Belize in August. We are in our late 20's and early 30's want to have a fun time in Belize. Also want to stay in a safe area too since it's all females traveling all our 1st time in Belize.

We have narrowed it down to these hotels and they are all in the same price range. I would love to hear advice on which hotel you would choose and why.

Belizean Shores

Royal Carribean Resort

Any other advice would be appreciated. We just decided this week so we are in the very early planning stages.

thank you.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

How do you describe 'fun'?

Is is doing tours from your accommodation like fishing, snorkeling/diving or mainland activities and sitting by the pool or on the beach with a good book? Then I would lean towards Belizean Shores simply because I think Royal Caribbean is quite unattractive and deserves its nickname 'The Barracks'

If you want to do all of the above and you like to find cool places to have a drink or a meal, you want to go shopping and/or hang out with locals then I think both of the places you're considering are too far from town. I'd look for something no further north than the cut and no further south than Xanadu.

wikimapia.org/…2

You will be able to walk most of the time and when you feel like a taxi, they will be cheap ($5US) and easy to find.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Belizean Shores is a lovely property, wonderful pool. It's also 3+ miles from town, and you'll be taking a water taxi bath and forth to town. There are some restaurants within walking distance, but I'm guessing you'll want to find music and dancing at night. I think the latest water taxi is midnight.

Royal Caribbean Resort is a couple miles south of town. I understand the insides of the units are nice, but it's pretty ugly from the outside, rows and rows of the same type cabana. Looks like a barracks. You'll want either to rent a golf cart or take a cab at night.

Personally, I'd look for something closer to town. Check out Ramons (probably too expensive), Sun Breeze, the Palms, maybe Blue Tang. If you don't need a pool, Belizean Reef or Mayan Princess.

Other places south of town, but further out, Banyan Bay, Banana Beach, Mata Rocks, Xanadu, maybe Exotic Caye. All easy walks to town during the day, other than Exotic Caye, I'd probably take a cab at night.

Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

I own a furnished condo close to San Pedro town. It's two bedroomes and two baths. Check out the calendar and Frequently Asked Questions at ambergrisvacationcondos.net

Steven

New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Hi there, thought I'd pop in since me and 5 of my good friends (male and female) were there last year, mid 20's to early 30's.

We rented a condo and were really happy about it. We had a pool and were on teh beach, the grocery stores weren't too far, and you can rent a golf cart to get everywhere. It ended up being very reasonably priced, and we were happy to cook dinner together and eat on our huge veranda overlooking the ocean. We wouldn't rprefered to be a bit closer to town (our condo was a few miles south, and they still hadn't finished the new road, so traveling wasn't always easy), but it was a wonderful experience and something you might want to look into as well.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

My husband and I stayed at the Banana Beach last year. We walked along the beach into town every day and back in the evenings and always felt safe. They say it's about a mile, but it seemed much closer. The walk there, there are many beach bars to stop at along the way, and depending how many you hit and how long you're in town you may want a cab back, but at $5.00 it's no big deal. The rooms there are very reasonably priced. You'll have a blast. There are many "Jimmy Buffett" style places, but there are also some places that have modern music. Shorts and flip flops all day and night.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Did you find that there were mostly couples there? Since its all girls we want don't want too much of a honeymoon atmosphere ...

Did you book directly thru hotel website?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

I've never stayed at Banana Beach, but it seems like there are always lots of single girls laying out in the sun when I walk by.

The web site states 25% off rates this summer, so I'd probably book directly through them to get that discount.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Belizean Shores is a beautiful and appeared to be a very secure property. This is a nice break between the crowd and congestion of the city and the way far out boonies.

A large group of people went in May-the boys and girls split up at various times. I felt very secure on the island and moving about (We rented golf carts) Some friends stayed at this resort and seemed happy with it (They did for, what it is worth like our hotel the Belize Legacy more, but it is further out and this hotel seemed very nice while we were there)

Bit of advice-you will get soaked onthe water taxi. Be prepared.

Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Thank you for all the advice. We are now looking at staying at Xandu but a 2bed/2bath is $300 is that expensive for August since it's considered low season?

For a little less than $300 we can get 2 rooms at Belizean Shores.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip ~ Hotel Advice?

Xanadu is relatively expensive. For me, it would be worth it to be walking distance to town. You'll be paying for water taxis if you want to get to town from Belizean Shores.