We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye flights

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye flights

I searched for flights on the internet,came up None available.Do I need to fly some where else then connect?Looking for best route from L.A.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

You will fly into BZE - Belize City - and take either Maya Island Air or Tropic Air to San Pedro.

Coshocton, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

Everyone that we met from the west coast when we there seemed to connect through San Salvadore. We flew Continential through Houston (we're from Ohio) and then Maya Air to the Caye and have no complaints. So...if you can get to Houston..it's a short 2 and a half hour flight from there. Good luck!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

Being really radical, fly to Cancun and then catch the daily 0900 hours flight to Chetumal, a 45 minute flight, then cross the border and a short taxi ride to Corazal airstrip and take your pick of Tropic Air or Maya Air flights throughout Belize. If you can select your flight from LA so it arrives between 0600 and 0800 hours, then use the internal flight to Chetumal. If not then try to arrive in Cancun as early as possible and there is a very good coach service for about $20 to Chetumal and it takes about five hours. The cheapest I found, after a quick search on flights LA to Cancun, was $236 return.

Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

First check out bookingbuddy.com for flights to Belize City International Airport (BZE) from L.A. You may have to transfer in Houston. Then once you reserve your flight to Belize City you will need a flight to Ambergris Caye. You can book this flight online with Maya Island Air at mayaislandair.com. The cost is approx. $109/person/round trip. Be sure to allow 1-1/2 to 2 hours between flights from Belize International Airport to Ambergris Caye as you will need to go through immigration (you need to show a passport), pick up your bags and then customs. They are all within the same area, sort of like a large living room.

And then if you need a nice place to stay check out my condo at ambergrisvacationcondos.net.

Good Luck!

Steven B.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

Unfortunately, I don't think the flight from Cancun to Chetumal exists any more. The bus ride isn't bad, IF you have the extra time.

I usually don't allow more than an hour between landing at BZE and scheduling my flight to San Pedro. I just bought a ticket on Tropic this morning, their website says to allow at least 45 minutes.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

Last time we went to Ambergris Caye via Maya Island Air I thing it took a total of 15 mins to deplane, go through immigration/customs, and get back thru security to catch the Maya flight. Both American and Continental flights had just landed. We did not check any bags and we were the only ones in the security line (if you want to call it that).

The airport is tiny. A few steps in any direction would put you outside the airport.

It was a snap!

Mike in Tulsa

7. Re: Ambergris Caye flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 27, 2009