We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

california
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

Hoping someone could shed some light on where my husband and I should stay when we are at Ambergris. We love quaint authentic places. We are lovers of Costa Rica and loved the non-touristy aspect of staying in bungalows/ casitas in some of the local villages (i.e. Mal Pais). We don't like traditional hotels. I know Ambergris can be quite touristy so I found some spots of interest up North. We still like to have a good time and meet others so we don't want to be too far away from action, but we don't want to be trapped in a tourist area either. Capricorn Resort and Mata Chica both have availabilty. Does anyone have any feedback on which one should we stay at?

Lombard, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

We just got back on Saturday from a week at White Sands Cove....we LOVED it. It is very quiet and the owners are great. We were able to walk to Capricorn within five minutes. It's a great location and you feel very secluded. The pool is great and the dive shop is great too. We also met a lot of great people at White Sands too. Good luck.

Little Rock
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

My fiance and I are honeymooning at Mata Chica in October. We have done extensive research on this property and can't find any negative reviews since the owners changed and upgraded the restaurant. We are so excited that we are talking to them about making reservations for New Year's as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

We stayed at Capricorn last July (2007). It was a perfect location. Quiet, rural yet close enough to town. We would Bike to town for day trips (20 or so minutes) or would walk to town (45 or so minutes) to dinner and then water taxi home in the dark. Don't ride your bike to or from town at night. It is very very dark and in the summer it gets dark early - 6:00 or so. It is very friendly at Capricorn. It appeared that the owners are very good to their staff. There are only 3 cabanas. We stayed in the King. It was nice but we felt over priced and a little tired. The restaurant is really cute, out door, comfortable, casual, served a great breakfast - banana pancakes, yum. We dined there one night and again felt it was WAY over priced - 30$ US for a crab cake. As was the chips and guac we had one night - I think it was 15$ US. We would go to town for dinners. San Pedro is a fun friendly town for walking around and going to local restaurants. Definitely go to Cholo's bar on the beach. Capricorn has a great dock with hammocks that we would go out to at night as well. As far as noise from the restaurant - well, I think it was usually all closed up tight by 10:00 pm each night. NOT noisy at all. Everyone does get up early though and they do have piped in music that can get a little tiresome. We would also go next door to the El Pescador for beers and a dip in their swimming pool. Captain Morgans is a short walk from Capricorn - 10 minutes most. It is very very resorty - a bit "uptight" - nice pool that we used too - mostly American and European tourists - sometimes timeshare people bug guests. We went there for breakfast one morning and a dinner one night. The food was really good - it's a pretty outdoor restaurant and way way cheaper than Capricorn but not as much fun as town. Capricorn arranged snorkel trips for us through Searious. Very good - great guides - small group - the guide brought us homemade coconut macaroons for inbetween snorkels. All in all, Capricorn is a very safe bet but it is quite expensive. I wouldn't stay at Captain Morgans unless you want a feeling of corporate efficiency. Portofino and Mata Chica were on our list of options too. Portofino is very far and from what I gather, Mata Chica is rather slick. Hope this helps - G.

14. Re: Capricorn Resort or Mata Chica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 02, 2009