We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

groceries

Coshocton, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
groceries

We have always stayed at all inclusive resorts on our other island trips. We are staying at the Belize Legacy for 10 days at the end of March. Will I have a hard time getting groceries, beverages, etc?

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: groceries

Order from http://www.lagniappe-belize.com/services.htm

Simon will get you set up. All you have to do is show up and your groceries will already be in your room.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: groceries

Staying in a resort 7 miles north of San Pedro means you will be a long way from the shops. Water taxis are the only means of transport. Whilst the Island Ferry does regular trips at at least US$7 for a single trip, it may well be worthwhile forming a party from the resort and booking a private water taxi at about $25 for a single trip to San Pedro, so a party of four is cheaper than the Island ferry and if the number is greater then the cheaper it is per head. Try David Rancharan (tel 00 501- 6104890) or Armando Gonzalez (tel 6101448).

Yes, /www.lagniappe-belize.com/services.htm is an option, but their minimum order is US$200. On arrival at San Pedro dump your bags somewhere safe, like the airstrip offices, and then do your shopping. I would suggest you go to Super Store in Back Street (a big pink building) or Ritchies at the north end of Laguna Drive, by the only roundabout in the town. Avoid the San Pedro Supermarket as its products are unpriced and the final bill is out of touch with reality. My wife picked up a smoked chicken priced at BZ$13.50 but at the check out it was priced at BZ$23. She cancelled her order. Do your shopping for the 10 days and the store will take you and your shopping to the water taxi pick up point and from there Belize Legacy should take you, baggage and shopping to your accomodation.

Do make sure you have plenty of insect repellent and have it applied by 5.30 pm or you will be well and truly bitten.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: groceries

I second Lagniappe. If you are staying for 10 days you are likely to spend more than $200US on groceries and beverages anyway. Doing your own shopping and schlepping all of your luggage, groceries, beer and booze to Legacy would be a huge pain in the butt and, IMO, not a nice way to start your vacation.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: groceries

Hon is right on. Let Simon do the shopping for you! By the time you get the Belikins, water, rum, and other essentials, you will be close to the $200 anyway. Then you can make up the rest with actual food. Let them do the carting and hauling, and spend your first few hours on Ambergris on your balcony with a snack and some nice cold Belikins. Priceless!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: groceries

Even though I only stayed one night at BLR in mid Jan. I can tell you that they pick you up at the airstrip and suggest to stop at San Pedranos a relatively inexpensive store before they head to the pier for your 15 minute ride to the resort. We didn't stop since we arrived pretty late and were very tired but did run into this store during our stay in San Pedro.

The resort has 3 daily trips into town without extra cost to you and also has a complimentary gallon of water in your room plus a day or two worth of coffee.

Anything imported from the US is very costly, a bag of chex mix was $4US but the Coke was only $2 for a liter.

You could ask for a few things before you get there and shop on your own when you go into town, it's a nice experience in itself.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: groceries

I just love arriving and having cold Belikins already waiting for me in my fridge. When ordering from Simon at Lagniappe Provisioning, I always have a flat or two of soda water too. This would be pretty darn difficult to cart back from the store, even if one were staying in town.

As the others have said, once you get your booze and pop order taken care of, it's not difficult to reach $200. Further, you are staying for 10 days. Heck, you could order twice in that amount of time.

If you want to pick up your own produce when you go to town, no problem, but why cart the heavy stuff yourself? Aren't you on vacation?

7. Re: groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 19, 2009