We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in November

San Diego...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in November

We are gong to Ambergris Caye on November 15th. I know there are mosquitoes but I just wondered how bad they are likely to be then. I have an allergic reaction to them and just want to know what I am up against. Mosquitoes never stop me from traveling but I do like to know how bad they are at different times of the year and this will be my first trip to Belize. Any suggestions of insect repellent that really worked well? Thanks :o)

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in November

Hi,

The mosquitoes are the worst after a rain. Hopefully the rains Belize has been experiencing in October will have abated and the water holes dried up by your visit. In any regard at any time when visiting the tropics and Central America - bring your deet if you are sensitive to mosquito bites. Have a great time on Ambergris Caye!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in November

Hi GotTravel,

We will be in Belize shortly after you. Our travel doctor recommended cholorquine (spelling), which I believe is an anti-malaria drug. Obviously, that doesn't repel bugs, but thought I'd just throw in my two cents as to what I am doing when I travel to Belize.

In terms of mosquito repellent, when we traveled to India, we used a repellent from REI - but that ended up giving me and my sister itchy uncomfortable rashes, so it was a wash as to which was worse - the bites or the repellent. What I am going to try this time is the Burt Bee's Herbal Insect Repellent, but also carry a brand like Cutter or something in case the former does not work. I might also look into protective socks or something to help ward those pesky ankle bites.

I am also bringing baby oil, as I have heard that deters the sand flies that are in the beaches at Ambergris.

Have a great trip!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in November

I don't spend a whole lot of time on north Ambergris, but lots of time south. More than a dozen trips at differing times of the years. My husband reacts badly to sand fleas, huge red welts. In all those trips, I don't think he's had more than half a dozen--total. I have a bottle of baby oil along, we've never needed it.

If you're along the coast, even if it has been raining, if there's a good sea breeze the mosquitos won't be too bad. They're worse the further from town you go, either north or south.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in November

Jean, I've had some mosquito encounters on the lagoon side of town too. However, I want to check out Sunset Grill. How did you find it over there, bug-wise?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in November

Hey Seashell,

I don't remember there being a problem with mosquitos at Sunset Grill. My memory is hazy, but I think we ate there on a trip in March though, so there weren't many mosquitos any where we went.

When do you head back to Ambergris?

6. Re: Mosquitoes in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 12, 2009