We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

Portland, OR
8 posts
Save Topic
Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

which one would you recommend and why?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

I'd recommend Caye Caulker. Very slow pace. Sand streets. Nice people, both locals and tourists. Adequate restaurants. Snorkeling at the reef is great for both cayes. You also have access to the whole island by foot. We were just there in Feb for the third time.

We haven't spent enough time on Ambergris to be well informed. We stop for lunch on snorkeling trips. There's more going on in San Pedro. That includes more cars, golf carts, people, etc. You can stay at resorts that are well out of town but to get to town you need a bike or golf cart.

If you want more restaurants, bars and nicer hotels its probably Ambergris. Its more popular and bigger so there must be a reason.

We've got lots of Caye Caulker pictures on our web site if you're interested. Can't help much with San Pedro / Ambergris Caye though.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

click on trip reports / Belize

Portland, OR
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

Wow! Thank you sooo much- great photos!

I think we will stay in Caye Caulker instead, where would you recommend staying?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

How much do you want to spend and how nice should it be?

You might look at www.cayecaulkerrentals.com to see if any of those looks interesting. We rented from her once and liked it.

Portland, OR
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

I decided on seaside cabanas. Thank you for your help!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

You're welcome. Nice place. Good Pina Coladas in the bar.

Orange County, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker all day long!!!

Super low-key, very relaxed, quieter... Less "touristy" type places.

Absolutely love it there.. Ambergris is also great, but Caye Caulker is where it's at. :)

NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

It really depends what you are looking for.

Caye Caulker is very laid back. Everyone is super friendly (even the dogs) and it is small enought to walk around and explore, The splitis anice spot to swim at. It is not a traditional beach, but still very beautiful. There is also a bar at the slit.

San Pedro is much livier. There are a ton of bars, really good restaurants (food on caye caulker wasnt really that impressive) The beach at Ramons is the nicest spot. It is actually a real, small sized beach, and there is hardly any seaweed. Everything is also open here alot later. You can still get food at the smaller standsi until around 1am or 2 am (on caye caulker everyone seems to close around 10.This includes bars.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

The entire town of Caye Caulker can be seen and all the shops walked through within an hour. Ambergris Caye takes about 3 hours to walk through anything. Personally I find Caye Caulker too boring without much selection of restaurants or shops. The beaches of Ambergris are also nicer in my opinion, though the sea grass makes some beaches on both Cayes not nice for swimming.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

I've been coming to Belize for four years. Mostly spending time on Ambergris, although we've spent a few nights on Caulker.

Yea, you can get through most of the shops in a few hours. But, every time we come here we find new restaurants, new things to see, new people to chat with.

It's a great town. The golf cart and construction traffic can be nutso at times, but it's still laid back and friendly. One of the best things is that the locals hang out with the visitors.

I'm here now,will be sad to leave in a few days.

10. Re: Ambergis vs. Caye Caulker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 22, 2009