We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel, is it safe?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
137 posts
25 reviews
Solo travel, is it safe?

I'm a female in my 30's looking to travel to Belize and Ambergris Caye. Wondering if it is safe for a female to travel solo there?

Also, where do I even begin to figure out where to stay? what to do? Etc. I plan to travel the week of Thanksgiving.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
969 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Solo travel, is it safe?

Absolutely. Many solo women travelers come to Belize. Use your common sense and don't do things that would be deemed unsafe anywhere else. You'll make lots of friends.

As far as planning where to stay, you need to decide where in the country you'd like to visit. Come up with some ideas and I'm sure people here will be more than generous in giving you suggestions. Also let people know your budget preference and desire for amenities. You'll have a wonderful adventure.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
280 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Solo travel, is it safe?

Check out this recent thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g63553…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
331 reviews
3. Re: Solo travel, is it safe?

If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you’re wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific questions so we can help you better.

For many 1st time visitors a split between a mainland place (often the San Ignacio area as a base for hiking, caving, and Maya sites) and a place on the water works well.

Here’s a link from an old forum thread I like with good descriptions of beachy options in Belize:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.

Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

4. Re: Solo travel, is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2018